• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White or Pied wagtail? - Lancashire, UK. (1 Viewer)

NickPatel92

Hi,

I know i'm probably going to be told all the details on how a White wagtail in Lancashire in October is really UNLIKELY, but just to be sure, i thought i'd post it anyway. This bird was amongst Pied wagtails, including some very light grey Pied wagtails (but they were definitely Pied, because of their grey flanks - this Bird has v.little flank colour). From a distance it was really White in colour. I was thinking maybe an Adult Winter/1st-Winter Female Alba/Yarrellii?

BY THE WAY - THE FIRST PIC IS OF A DEFINITE PAIR OF PIED - MALE ON LEFT, FEMALE ON RIGHT!!!

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• DSC05720a.jpg
    DSC05720a.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC05731a.jpg
    DSC05731a.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC05732a.jpg
    DSC05732a.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC05733a.jpg
    DSC05733a.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC05735a.jpg
    DSC05735a.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 108
Its a Pied - nice dark rump showing on the 3rd pic

I'm not too sure... In pic three the rump looks darker grey than the mantle and back, then it's the uppertail coverts that appear black. Granted in the first pic the flanks look grey washed, but in other they don't...

So, let's assume that its an adult bird (can't see any moult contrast on the coverts and nice clean white based to the face), and most likely an adult female, why isn't it an adult female alba going into winter plumage?

Female Alba wouldn't show, especially at this time of year as much black on crown. Aswell as what has been said the messy black area around the ear coverts and linking the cap and bib is a pied feature.

Also Nick, I have seen you at Leighton Moss photographing Bearded Tits a few weeks back. I was there also photographing them. So nice to meet you and happy birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back