• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please Help ID (1 Viewer)

thomasd

This photo was taken at St. Marks NWR in North Fla on Jan 17,04
The bird seem to be about the size of a RobinHe's standing on a tall grass stem

Attachments

• white bird copy.jpg
    white bird copy.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 425
Hi Thomas,

I can't help with the id, but on behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I'm sure your query will attract further replies soon.

I though about Mockingbird too for a bit, but the bill is a bit too thick at the base. Mockingbird's bill is a bit more even in width and has more of a downcurve at the tip of the upper mandible.

Jason

yeah, i was wondering about the bill, but i don't have a field guide within reach (just had shoulder surgery so i only can use 1 arm). it's hard to tell the size and bill size from this perspective. he said it was about robin sized, and the larger grackles are noticably bigger than that. maybe it's a common grackle. maybe i should backup my haphzard guessing and hobble over to a birdbook...

I'll go for partial albino Red-winged Blackbird - I think the tail is too short and the wrong shape (not flared & wedge-shaped) for a Common Grackle (and much too short for a Boat-tail!); also the eye is dark, which is right for RWBB whereas Common Grackle has a bright yellow iris.

Michael

No, not Red-winged Blackbird. They have a well-pointed bill without the downcurve on the upper mandible. Not so sure about other blackbirds, though. Hmm... must go and have a look.

Jason

Well I dunno. The primary extension as well as the tail length would seem to rule out the grackles, but what else has a bill shaped like that? Assuming that the albinism is exaggerating the thickness of the bill, the best fit I can find is actually European Starling. Very much doubt I'm right, though.

Jason

Good point Fifey - now you mention it, it looks OK for Fish Crow. A fair bit bigger than an American Robin (38 vs 25 cm), but size can always be deceptive

Michael

I did wonder about Florida Scrub Jay, but decided the tail looked too long. The photo might be foreshortening the tail (but enough?) I'm hampered by never having seen the species in the field.

Jason

Really don't think this is a Crow, the proportions are just wrong and there are no obvious nasal bristles. The eye looks too big in relation to the head size.

Fish Crow

American Crow

Even though the Fish Crow is smaller than the American Crow See Here it still looks a bigger bird than this part-albino.

I would guess possible Grackle or maybe Mockingbird?.

Last edited:
I've been looking at this again. You know, I think it's a Grey Catbird. Tail looks about the right length; drooped wings look good too; dark eye fits. Only thing against it is that the bill may be a bit too thick, but it's exactly the right shape - especially the tip. And the description of it being about the size of an [American] Robin fits too.

Jason

Last edited:
head shape and bill make it look rather like Clark's Nutcracker to me

tail looks very good despite albinism on rest of bird (which would not affect most of the white tail!)

The bill is surely much too heavy for a Gray Catbird. And if Clark's Nutcracker, it'll be the first Florida record.

Someone's cagebird gone AWOL?

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back