• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown sparrows (1 Viewer)

Dave S

Corporate Lacky
Are these golden-crowned sparrows? None of my books show loose yellow markings on the head... they're much more distinct. Both of these were taken at two separate wetlands.

Attachments

• 2004-02-15-1000-18-800.jpg
    2004-02-15-1000-18-800.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 2004-04-11-1000-10-800.jpg
    2004-04-11-1000-10-800.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 201
No field guide will ever show a bird in all its variations of plumage during moult, but for me these birds are Golden-crowned Sparrows. The makings of the yellow crown and black supercilium, bicoloured bill The first pic looks to me like a first winter? Or winter adult bird moulting into breeding. The second pic seems like a first winter the odd thing being the pink colour in the bill?

I'd agree with Golden-crowned for both. The more extensive yellowish feathers on the forecrown isn't atypical for first-winter birds. Although, as petectid says, that pink, monochrome bill is puzzling.

The bit of golden on the crown is definitive for NA sparrows. Bill of first bird is classic; no idea about the pink one on bird 2. Some White-crown in it?

That would make sense. The second was taken in an area where there were alot of white-crowned sparrows. I did not know the white-crowns showed yellow at all. I'm pretty new to this, so I'm not familiar at all to molting colors.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back