• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirmation on U.S. warblers (1 Viewer)

Thats what I would have guessed had they appeared in the garden, shortly after I passed out! Were they really side by side like that?

They don't look very different... might be the same species perhap? I keep seeing brownish dark-eyed juncos sitting next to jet black ones...

Had a quick look at the pic, I concur with Brown Creeper and Jane, but can Blackpoll Warbler be taken out of the picture for the lower bird?

The lower bird looks like a lot like a Tennessee. I suppose it could be a blackpoll, but it looks quite green. Blackpolls also tend to be more streaky.

The lower bird has two distinct white wing bars. tennessee warblers may have slight edges to the feathers, but surely not as strong as this bird.
Tom

tomjenner said:
The lower bird has two distinct white wing bars. tennessee warblers may have slight edges to the feathers, but surely not as strong as this bird.
Tom
Looks to me to be in range for fem. Tennessee, not that I've ever seen one, but I do mug up on them just in case. Its so small compared to the BTG warbler, looks like one of our Phylloscs. The wing bar look like pale edges rather than thick tips as on say a female Black-throated Blue Warbler

Now that I had a chance to look more closely at the first picture, I think the lower one looks more like a Tennessee. Seems to have more yellow on the underside, and it looks like the undertail coverts are the only white spot on the underside. I agree with Brown Creeper that the backside appears clean greenish color, where the Blackpoll seems like it has a darker back. Also this bird seems to have no streaking on the sides of the breast and its wing bars seem weaker then a Blackpoll. I think that a Blackpoll is bigger then a B-T Green, right? Judging from this pic, the lower bird looks a liltte smaller:Tennesse. Sorry cant look at the secound now, got to go...

The wing bars look real... need to get into a book since I can't remember which is which, but my starting position would be Black-throated Blue!

I'm no good on American warblers (only seen a few species) but, as no one else wants to have a go, I think maybe the second lot are Blackpoll Warblers. That's based purely on Sibley though, so I could easily be a mile off.

I know I should look for wing bars, tail spots, rump patches, flank streaks, under tail colour... then I get a bit rusty.... better get warmed up in time for October, you never know.

I take it we're all agreed on Black-throated Green for the top one. It's the bottom one that's the problem. It's got me beat. What bird could you see in spring in Illinois that is predominantly green-and-yellowish (possibly with paler undertail coverts), is unstreaked, has two moderately subdued wing bars and clear white primary tips? The last must rule out a few things.

I'm not even going to try the third bird!

Last edited:
Jane, yes, they really were side by side. Not only that but I had about a dozen Tennessees and several other species at the same time in one small tree (and nearby bush) This small tree (with a small pond that attracted them) was right outside my bedroom window so you can imagine all the fun I had (Indigo Buntings, Scarlet Tanagers, 5 vireos, 20+ warbler species including a lifer Worm-eating; alot of which I saw out that window) Too bad I don't live there anymore that was back in Michigan. Well, anyway, I can't remember when I took that first photo but since I do recall that the second one was taken in the fall, and I'm pretty sure they were taken around the same time, so I guess photo #1 must also be a fall pic. I think that explains why the Tennessee has so much yellow on it (first fall bird). Bluetail, I convinced it is a Tennessee because it's the only greenish warbler with a short tail (other birders that I know also agree that it's a Tennessee). Now, back to the second photo..........since I saw them at close range I'm pretty sure of their identity.........anyone else have any thoughts as to what they are?

black-throated blue?

Jane Turner said:
The wing bars look real... need to get into a book since I can't remember which is which, but my starting position would be Black-throated Blue!
I have seen many black-throated blues and have never seen one with wing bars. the white wing spot is usually visible and characteristic. i doubt if this is a female blach-throated blue. after all my pontificating i haven't a clue as to the true ID

First pic. top bird would indeed be a BtGW. The "open face" as opposed to Townsend´s Warbler, is quite clear. Also the eye catching yellow vent spot is a good character. The dark line (looks black on image) behind the eye seems to dark (?).
The one under, well, could it be anything else than a Tennessee Warbler? Now that we know it´s autumn, there would be wingbars and distinct white tips to primaries on a tennessee and whitish undertail coverts. Also it looks short tailed, all fits Tennessee. Blackpoll and Black-throated Blue dont even come close. The third one, well......
JanJ

For picture No 2, I will risk a little and say orange-crowned warbler at least has to be considered: broken eye-ring and something that could be streaks on the breast. According to Kaufman, sometimes show gray head, and Sibley shows a juvenile having wing bars.

Is the half warbler supposed to be the same species? If so, I probably will have to change my mind.

cheers
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back