• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please (1 Viewer)

Hi Helen,

Certainly looks like one to me......This is probably a cue for someone much more knowledgeable to come on and say "Of course it's not, it's a **** (insert bird name of choice that I've never heard of...."
;)

Helen,
Yes it is. Looks like the male Phoenicurus ochruros gibraltariensis. Black face, white wing panel, rufous uppertail coverts.

Lovely picture.

I was lucky to have one in my back garden some years back.

I stayed in an Austrian village one time and Black Redstarts seemed to be everywhere. They seemed very tame, a bit like our House Sparrows in the UK.

bristolbirder said:
I stayed in an Austrian village one time and Black Redstarts seemed to be everywhere. They seemed very tame, a bit like our House Sparrows in the UK.

That's interesting Bristolbirder....

Are they resident in Austria year-round or just Summer visitors?? I tend to go to Austria most winters but have never seen one.... I'll keep a more careful eye out of they are there at Xmastime...

Ruby said:
That's interesting Bristolbirder....

Are they resident in Austria year-round or just Summer visitors?? I tend to go to Austria most winters but have never seen one.... I'll keep a more careful eye out of they are there at Xmastime...

Summer visitor only Ruby!
:C

Yep. Saw plenty of those guys...

We were also lucky enough to be staying in a high Alpine village in early April and there were loads of them in and around the village - the Alpine equivalent of pigeons!!

They used to come and perch on our balcony and make their amazing calls....even my non-birding companions were quite taken by them...

Hi guys,

just to give you an idea of the difference in frequency of species on the mainland;

I come from Ireland but have been in Germany for the past two months. At home, I see Black Redstarts every year on migration but always along the coast, beaches, harbours etc. Here, they are everywhere! Every evening I have a male calling on the roof of the house! First time I've heard the call too and very diagnostic.

Just 2 weeks ago, I had never seen or heard a Serin. Now they are everywhere! A beautiful and noisy little finch which isn't at all shy. This is another bird which calls regularly from atop the house.

So, it just goes to show that species we find all too rare or uncommon in Britain and Ireland can be doing quite well elsewhere.

Nice photo by the way...Black redstarts can be quite tricky to photograph...they have a habit of flitting away at the last second!

I once ran a google search on Black Redstart and was fascinated about the projects set up in London just for this species. In Britain brownfield sites are the Black Redstart's favourite habitat type i.e derelict factories and power stations. Justifiably, it is these habitats that governments most encourage development on. However such developments will destroy the BR's habitat. As part of the London Black Redstart Biodiversity Action Plan however, developers are being encouraged to design the roofs of any new buidings to be identical to this species' usual habitat. This led to the new roofs being a mixture of stones and rubble. According to the website the scheme has been a huge success, with Black Redstarts taking readily to these new developments and plans are under way to make more new buidings with these roofs in London in order to encourage the species' expansion in the capital. Just shows what can be achieved with a little innovation !

This picture shows the surroundings where the black redstart was seen. All around is farmland, with lots of derelect barns etc...

btw, couple of barn swallows nesting in the opening of the barn on the left hand side of the pic.

Attachments

• barn.jpg
    barn.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 198
M Cowming said:
I come from Ireland but have been in Germany for the past two months. At home, I see Black Redstarts every year on migration but always along the coast, beaches, harbours etc. Here, they are everywhere!
When I was in the Cévennes last summer they seemed to be the common garden bird, occupying the niche our Robin does here.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back