• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another one for the experts?????? (1 Viewer)

Paulyoly

Shot this today, as you can tell i am no expert, taken in my backyard in the middle of Florida. The bird didn't stop much, bounced from limb to limb in the tree tops. It appears to have a very orange chin.

Attachments

• unknownbird3.jpg
    unknownbird3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 464
hi Paul- the profile, plumage & white eye ring seem to fit the gizz of an American Robin, member of the thrush family. They bounce around those treetops pretty well :)

I thought that as well, but the bird seemed to small to be a robin. I thought it was no bigger than a titmouse, but i may have lost the original bird i was following in the trees and picked up this one instead.

Is that a wood thrush in you avatar pic? That was the first bird i digiscoped only the pic came out very bad.

The tail feathers and size put me in mind of the yellow rumped but It's not that cause I don't see any streaking on the chest. Is that yellow I see part of the bird? My next guess would be the northern parula with that white belly and the wing bars.

Last edited:
hi Paul- I'm not seeing the field markings the others speak of- maybe it's my monitor settings but I don't see a black/red band across the chest nor do I see the rounded tips of a warbler tail. The wingbars aren't that distinctive so that is throwing me for a loop. I usually don't like to make an id call based on a photo alone, especially when there is so much of the bird hidden like this one, but if the bird was as small as a titmouse then a Northern parula would fit that size description. Congrats on the sighting, they're lovely birds & I'll be glad when they finally arrive here :t:

Last edited:
Just to aid you in the points picked up by others here, I hope no one minds that I have done this, I thought it might be a way to help in peoples future IDs of birds.

Attachments

• unknownbird3.jpg
    unknownbird3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 364
I'm sorry Paul, I forgot to answer you about my avatar- that is a hermit thrush from an image I took last fall. We do get wood thrush on the property though and their song to me is the most magical song in the avian world. I've only managed to get a photo a few times, they're not easy to photograph but sure easy to listen to :)
And Ashley- thanks for taking the time to point out some of the field markings that others were speaking of, but I still cannot see them well in the image- only if I take the photo to a graphics program and lighten/brighten it can I see them and then only faintly- After 35+ years in the field, I still find bird identification not only challenging but fun :)

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
This is clearly a "New World wood-warbler",and based on my(admittedly purely theoretical,except for 1 Blue-winged Warbler here)knowledge of the family,I'd agree;it's a Northern Parula.
Harry

Thanks for all the info everyone. Here is the same pic with some editing and no sharpening. Saw some more today, but couldn't get any pics.

Attachments

• parula.jpg
    parula.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 333
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back