• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with a pipit!! (1 Viewer)

Simonph

Cant figure this one out...any help much appreciated! Taken today in Dubai, UAE. Tawny's, Water and Red-throated pipits around, but this guy didnt seem like any of them...Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0146.JPG
    DSC_0146.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_01441.JPG
    DSC_01441.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 259
London Birder said:
have to say it looks like a Water to me ... how did it differ from Water Pipits present?

Seemed to have much heavier streaking than the water pipits im used to seeing here - have attached one to show what I mean...perhaps its a different subsp

Attachments

• DSC_0078.JPG
    DSC_0078.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 210
Simonph said:
Seemed to have much heavier streaking than the water pipits im used to seeing here - have attached one to show what I mean...perhaps its a different subsp

Interestingly, your original photos look closer to 'western' perception of Water Pipit than this one, although I'm sure they're both correct.

These would be subspecies coutellii, which is more distinctly streaked in upperparts, and has finer streaks on underparts. The loral area often seems to be paler close to the bill, only a dark spot in front of the eye, spinoletta usually all dark, but there´s variation. In the first image the lores seems to be all pale, and the streaking looks more prominent on the the breast and flanks. The grey nape is rather obvious and according to Alström & Mild in 'Pipits' coutellii in winter plumage has more often a greyer nape than spinoletta.

http://www.tarsiger.com/index.php?p...inen,+Water+Pipit,+Anthus+spinoletta&lang=eng

JanJ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back