• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help with id (1 Viewer)

henry

Henry
I just had a visit from a new little fellow...he was about Robin sized and I'm having a little problem IDing him. I welcome the help...

Thanks,

Henry

Attachments

• dsc00151.jpg
    dsc00151.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 399
thanks.....I couldn't ID it with Peterson's guide but had just flipped my Sibley's open right to the right page....speak of Duh.....either way it's a first Grosbeak for me!!!:t:

How far east do they go?

I thought have a picture of a bird that looks just like this, but I live in Wisconsin. According to this page: Black-Headed Grosbeak, these birds are not found in Wisconsin. Are the moving east?

Here is the picture:

Attachments

• unknownBird.jpg
    unknownBird.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 215
Hi, Innova! I see this is your first post, so a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

I think you have a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak here. They look very similar to their western counterparts, the Black-headed Grosbeaks. The only reason I say "I think" is that I'm not 100% this isn't a male Rose-breasted in first-winter plumage. I've never seen a female Rose-breasted, only adult males, so am going solely by the differences I see in your bird compared to the female Black-headeds I get in my yard. I'm sure someone more familiar with this species will be along shortly to confirm or deny. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back