• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Here are a couple of the afore-mentioned species:
I'm told that this Little Grebe is making quite a habit out of these forays into the channels around the West Hide.
This drake Gadwall showed well all day.
Some of the Pochard even approached to an almost usable range.
The Shoveler were very accommodating especially in front of the Concrete Hide.
Not the best shot of the Water Rail today, but one that I really didn't expect! Strange behaviour for such a secretive species.

Attachments

• Dabchick.jpg
    Dabchick.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Gadwall.jpg
    Gadwall.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 55
  • Pochard.jpg
    Pochard.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Shoveler.jpg
    Shoveler.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Water Rail 2.jpg
    Water Rail 2.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
...we disturbed 12 Peacock ...although it was warm enough for many to fly around anyway.
B :)John

Was it only me... ? Took me a good 2-3 minutes to realise we were talking butterflies here - wondered why the Belsmeister hadn't mentioned this occurrence when we saw each other!

Last edited:
Demolition of main Flashes hide

This will take place on Monday 7th November. The new build is now scheduled to start on the 9th November and will take about a week
:t:John

At the Flashes today:
A green sand roosted tonight with 20 Curlew, 30 Lapwing, 69 BHG and 1 Teal.
During the day a bit quiet highlights Snipe 5 flushed, Peregrine, meadow pipit c5, skylark, redwing c5 and 60 starling
JohnB :)

Having spoken to John, it seems that the three I saw arrive on the Moors were probably three of his five flushed, Phil.

Thanks to all the Tuesday work party lads today for their efforts; this means on Sunday we can concentrate all our efforts on the digging of channels, clearance of silt, creation of islands and spits.

Very encouraging to see water back in the second Flash; hope this is grow (but not until after the work party ;)).

Nice summary of sightings Sy - best counts of Snipe and Pochard for the autumn so far.

Phil

and GIRLS phil, who work like Trojans:t:

Prospects for Winter

So with water returning to the second Flash what do the UW cognoscenti believe the less-skilled birder might see there (if anything) over the next few months.

I know there's the possibility of Bittern but I gather that's more likely at the Moors. Snipe and Jack are mentioned. Redwings and Fieldfares are pretty regular I'd have thought but not specific to wetlands.

Brandon Marsh had 61 Golden Plovers yesterday (and SEO and Hen Harrier a little before that). We still seem to be getting Green Sands occasionally so presumably they are still around? Migration is over but what about stuff forced inland from Slimbridge by storms? Or different gulls?

Pardon my ignorance but this is my rookie year at UW and I'd like tailor my expectations. Are the Flashes going to be very quiet now until Spring? Is that true of the whole reserve?

In short, any guidance for UW winter birding would be welcome.

TIA

Paul

So with water returning to the second Flash what do the UW cognoscenti believe the less-skilled birder might see there (if anything) over the next few months.

I know there's the possibility of Bittern but I gather that's more likely at the Moors. Snipe and Jack are mentioned. Redwings and Fieldfares are pretty regular I'd have thought but not specific to wetlands.

Brandon Marsh had 61 Golden Plovers yesterday (and SEO and Hen Harrier a little before that). We still seem to be getting Green Sands occasionally so presumably they are still around? Migration is over but what about stuff forced inland from Slimbridge by storms? Or different gulls?

Pardon my ignorance but this is my rookie year at UW and I'd like tailor my expectations. Are the Flashes going to be very quiet now until Spring? Is that true of the whole reserve?

In short, any guidance for UW winter birding would be welcome.

TIA

Paul
Hi Paul.
It depends on how harsh the weather is. The salt at the Flashes doesn't stop it freezing up any more than if it was freshwater (just too shallow). Many years ago we started a feeding station at the Flashes (1984ish) mostly due to the lack of birds during the winter. This we hoped would attract more people to the Flashes to 'bird' as well as watch the feeders. In those early days, the feeding station attracted : good numbers of Brambling, water rail (sometimes eating finches:eek!:) and in the following years corn bunting, tree sparrow and yellowhammers appeared. Unfortunately recent years have seen the demise of the Flashes feeding area (mostly because AFJ is unable to put the food out).
Although after 1993 when Amy's marsh was created the Moors has improved dramatically and also for some strange reason never completely freezes (partially due to an increase in wildfowl totals). At the height ( or low:-C) of winter we do attract goosander's in varying numbers. Unfortunately the UK as a whole gets less wintering wildfowl than it did 15 years ago. Consequently we get less as well.
Siskins, redpoll and maybe Brambling and waxwing (some years) are an attraction. But due to its smallish water-body, Upton plays second fiddle to the likes of Draycote etc. Duck numbers can vary dramatically in very cold spells but never stop trying , with such a poor Autumn maybe we are due a good winter.
I am sure Mike and Phil will be able to add more wintering highlights ...I haven't got my History of Upton book so I cannot check it out.
B :)John

We have been discussing the effects of possible changes at the Sailing Pool but what of the Transmitter Field? Will the demise of long-wave transmissions mean that the BBC will abandon or even take down the pylons? Not only would the peregrines lose their perch but the field might be given over to arable farming, which I assume is less bird-friendly.

Peter

We have been discussing the effects of possible changes at the Sailing Pool but what of the Transmitter Field? Will the demise of long-wave transmissions mean that the BBC will abandon or even take down the pylons? Not only would the peregrines lose their perch but the field might be given over to arable farming, which I assume is less bird-friendly.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Funnily enough I was listening to a program on Radio 4 the other day part of which discussed these transmitters. Apparently they are operating off old valve technology and they still have enough spares for the next 10 or so years, by which time they should be able to replace the valves with transistors!

I think the intention is to keep them running as long as poss. The danger in closing down and removing the masts will be that they will find it nigh on impossible to get planning consent again in the future so I suspect they will be Peregrine perches for some time yet:t:

Cheers

Gert

Hi Peter,

Funnily enough I was listening to a program on Radio 4 the other day part of which discussed these transmitters. Apparently they are operating off old valve technology and they still have enough spares for the next 10 or so years, by which time they should be able to replace the valves with transistors!

I think the intention is to keep them running as long as poss. The danger in closing down and removing the masts will be that they will find it nigh on impossible to get planning consent again in the future so I suspect they will be Peregrine perches for some time yet:t:

Cheers

Gert

Hi Gert,

Thanks for the reassurance,

Peter

just caught it out the corner of my eye last weds down the side of the salwarpe just west of moors heading towards road, i generally photograph anything i see just on the off chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back