• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray wolves lose protection in US states (Earth Times) (1 Viewer)

BF Newsroom

Gray wolves have lost their protection in parts of the United States after their numbers made a recovery, a move that means they can be hunted again. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has removed Endangered Species Act protection from gray wolves in the northern Rocky Mountains, including Idaho, Montana, eastern Oregon and Washington, and northern Utah.

More from Earth Times

Gray wolves have lost their protection in parts of the United States after their numbers made a recovery, a move that means they can be hunted again. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has removed Endangered Species Act protection from gray wolves in the northern Rocky Mountains, including Idaho, Montana, eastern Oregon and Washington, and northern Utah.

More from Earth Times

Sad. Another victory for the ranching & hunting lobbies.

True, it's sad, but the not-so-sad part is that they seem to do fairly well when re-introduced, so as long as the genetic variance is kept. I suspect that as the decades and centuries go by, we will realize that an apex predator (full time and efficient, unlike us) is absolutely essential to keeping an ecosystem healthy. Some learn sooner than others, I guess.

True, it's sad, but the not-so-sad part is that they seem to do fairly well when re-introduced, so as long as the genetic variance is kept. I suspect that as the decades and centuries go by, we will realize that an apex predator (full time and efficient, unlike us) is absolutely essential to keeping an ecosystem healthy. Some learn sooner than others, I guess.

I wish I could share your optimism. Wolves have been shot out before in the lower 48 & it could happen again. It all depends on how the political winds blow.

It means there won't be a reintroduction of red wolves, for one (in my view). Coyotes nationwide should be jumping for joy....wolves are about the only thing that consistently kills them. I think each state will determine it's policy. This was put in as a rider to the Obama budget...nice thinking.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back