• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Distribution of Taczanowski's Ground-Tyrant vs. Plain-capped Ground-Tyrant (1 Viewer)

Calonectris

Hello,

I have a taxonomic question. According to some authors Plain-capped Ground-Tyrant (Muscisaxicola alpinus) should be split into two species: M. alpinus and M. griseus (Taczanowski's Ground-Tyrant). I have seen Plain-capped Ground-Tyrant in Bolivia and I wondered which of these two species it could be, to keep my list up-to-date. I saw the birds at an altitude of 3800m in the mountains south of Cochabamba, Bolivia (near the village of Sacha Loma).

Any ideas from anyone which of the two this could be?

Many thanks.

Calonectris,

Your bird would be Taczanowski's Ground-tyrant (M. griseus). The Plain-capped Ground-tyrant is only found in the Andes of Colombia and Ecuador, while Taczanowski's is found from Northern Peru south to Cochabamba, Bolivia. Info gleaned from HBW, vol. 9.

Cheers,
Liam

Thank you Liam for your reply. I found a map on Avibase where the distribution of M. alpina (s.s.) is the same as that of M. alpina (s.l.). Hence my confusion. Thanks for clarifying it.

Greets.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back