• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape Clear Island; A gathering of bird artists; Sept/Oct 2012 (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Cape Clear Island; A gathering of bird artists; Sept/Oct 2013

Here's the concept, Cape Clear Island for a week, a visually stunning location with a proven track record for birds in autumn. Add to this a group of artist's, seven days in the field from 29th September-6th October 2013, which are to be devoted to observing, drawing and painting anything that stops them. I have spoken to Steve Wing, current warden at Cape Clear Bird Observatory, who thinks it's a fine idea. Accomadation will be available at the bird observatory at reasonable rates, whilst other accomadation is available on the island for those requiring more comfort, or perhaps more room for families...
A rendevous in Dublin on the evening of Saturday 28th September, before travelling on Sunday by rail from Dublin-Cork, before transferring to the ferry dock at Baltimore by minibus perhaps. Cape Clear will not disapoint those visiting for the first time. Cape Clear has an unsurpassed reputation for attracting rare birds from east and west. Migrants abound in autumn and there will always be something to see, whilst local specialities like Chough add further interest.
So basically I need to know if there is real interest in the idea. It would be wonderful to get the idea off the ground, meet in person and eventually get out into the field with you all.
Dates are not cast in iron, some may only be able to come for a long weekend, others want to stay longer, que sera. Unfortunately, visiting artists will have to fund the trip from their own pockets. Happily these days, Dublin is cheap to get to from many locations around europe, whilst accomadation will be reasonable. A few euros for a pint of Murphy's Stout might also be required.
More details to follow should interest be there...

Have created an event page on FB and invited those of you I have there.

Last edited:
Oh yes, sunshine! Just need to look at the dates re; SOC exhib - but a definite from me assuming this isn't a clash. Great move, mate . . . and not before time ;)

seven days in the field from 29th September-6th October 2013

Sorry for any confusion, tis 2013, plenty of time yet...

Just to add, dates are flexible, could be a little later, even earlier, though October is the time to visit the island and find migrants and vagrants...

Birdwatch Ireland site for CCBO
http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Birdwatching/CapeClearBirdObservatory/CapeClearBirdObservatoryIntroduction/WeeklyBirdList/tabid/572/Default.aspx

Photos from October 2012, as can be seen it's a place of remarkable natural beauty as well as being an incredible birding site. As well as landbirds, the island is famous for seabird movements, as well as Whales, Dolphins, Sunfish and Leatherback Turtles in some years...

1. The view west from the Mass Track. Wryneck and Red Breasted Flycatcher on the track the day I took this, as well as Barred Warbler!

2. Chough pair at Firbreaga... several pairs resident and breeding on the island.

3. O Driscoll's Castle

4. The Low Road

5. The view east from beside the Bird Observatory...

A detailed account from my blog of two weeks birding in October on Cape Clear an be found in the archive margin of my blog, click on October 2011 and scroll down...

Rarity find; account by Steve Wing;
http://www.irbc.ie/notes/pdf/BlueWingedWarblerinCork(SteveWing).pdf

Birding on cape, a blogspot..
http://birdingoncapeclear.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• Cape From Mass Track.jpg
    Cape From Mass Track.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Chough best shot.jpg
    Chough best shot.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 89
  • driscolls castle.jpg
    driscolls castle.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 85
  • low road.jpg
    low road.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 87
  • north coast.jpg
    north coast.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
And a few more shots from October 2011...

1. Thai Night; Birder's at the observatory after enjoying CCBO warden Steve Wing's(front right) superb Thai Night...

2. West Bog/Olly Gully, site of many mega rare birds...

3. Short Toed Lark at Lough Errul

4. Red Eyed Vireo at the The Low Road

5. West Bog; Legendary irish birding site...Bobolink, Northern Waterthrush, American Redstart, Fan Tailed Warber, Sykes Warbler just off the top of my head, often full of migrants in fall conditions here. Saw my first Ortolan Buntings, Barred Warbler, Wryneck, Red backed and Woodchat Shrike, Richard's Pipit and Ring Ouzel here as a young birder, a fantastic place on it's day...

Attachments

• Obs on Thai night.jpg
    Obs on Thai night.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 121
  • olly gully.jpg
    olly gully.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 94
  • REV.jpg
    REV.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 111
  • stl3.jpg
    stl3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 92
  • west bog.jpg
    west bog.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Cape Clear sounds like a great plan - Just the sort of trip that gets me inspired I am always looking for new locations for my 'Ambling Adventures' although I have visited southern Island before I never managed to feature it in my first DVD and I have never been to Cape Clear. I am not sure that a week will be long enough for me though, as I am always keen to film the Birds, Wildlife and the location as well as doing as much; Birding, sketching and Painting in the field as daylight hours will allow
Can't wait - 'are we there yet'?

please watch the preview of my new DVD on my website www.amblingartist.com

Wayne Castle

Hi there!
I'm very intersested in this! Don't worry, I've not lost my artistic aspirations ( if such a thing is ever possible!); I've just been up to other things. Still been putting in time with the sketchbook, though, so will be posting when I get my scanner sorted. 2013, then? This is summat to really look forward to! I just might get a teeny bit of inspiration!

Cheers

Russ

I'm also very very interested! Places like Cape Clear, Fair Isle and Scilly have been on my wish list for ages. I hope that new information about this event also will appear here on birdforum - I'm not much of an FB user...

I'm also very very interested! Places like Cape Clear, Fair Isle and Scilly have been on my wish list for ages. I hope that new information about this event also will appear here on birdforum - I'm not much of an FB user...

Yes Oivind, I'm very much aware of the fact many people are not on FB, as well as being members the forum here. You would be most welcome and I will keep you updated. It's a while away yet, though time flies as they say...

Cape Clear sounds like a great plan - Just the sort of trip that gets me inspired I am always looking for new locations for my 'Ambling Adventures' although I have visited southern Island before I never managed to feature it in my first DVD and I have never been to Cape Clear. I am not sure that a week will be long enough for me though, as I am always keen to film the Birds, Wildlife and the location as well as doing as much; Birding, sketching and Painting in the field as daylight hours will allow
Can't wait - 'are we there yet'?

please watch the preview of my new DVD on my website www.amblingartist.com

Wayne Castle

Interestting subject for a documentart, no.....;)

Last edited:
Sure sounds like a wonderful idea. I really doubt that I'll be able to make it from the US but I sure can picture the rest of you having a great time. Just make sure the results also get published in a book!

Sure sounds like a wonderful idea. I really doubt that I'll be able to make it from the US but I sure can picture the rest of you having a great time. Just make sure the results also get published in a book!

Im sure it will end up in book. (Best Cape island Public houses)

Hi there!
I'm very intersested in this! Don't worry, I've not lost my artistic aspirations ( if such a thing is ever possible!); I've just been up to other things. Still been putting in time with the sketchbook, though, so will be posting when I get my scanner sorted. 2013, then? This is summat to really look forward to! I just might get a teeny bit of inspiration!

Cheers

Russ
Just up your street, Russ.

Certainly sounds exciting! I'd be interested but the finances may well get in the way of that interest. Who wants to buy some paintings?

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back