• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Artists Scam (1 Viewer)

Juan Varela

As you all may now there's an increase of artist scam in the web. I've just received a mail from one of this scammers. The man pretended to be a client interested in buying three (no less!) of my paintings. The weird thing is that he was reluctant to use Paypal or credit card for payment and didn't want to receive the artwork by Fedex or UPS. Instead he offered a Money Order or a cheque and a "reliable" courier that he will send to pick up the parcel. He said he lived in Essex but his English was awful.
I answer him that I only accept bank transfers or paypal and that I'll send the pieces via Fedex and I didn't hear from him anymore.
I also glooged the phone number he gave and it is associated with a lottery scam.
The links below gives full information about scammers, the way to recognize them and a list os some of the names they use. The web of Artist for Conservation, if you are member, gives also advice
Please be careful
http://www.kathleenmcmahon.com/info/scammer-names.html
http://stopartscams.blogspot.com.es

Cheers Juan....all I ever get through my site are people flogging Louis Vitton handbags! They're very nice apparently ;)

Edit: just checked my inbox and now I can get cheap Adidas, Nike Air Max or Jordan trainers now too.....oh joy, lucky me!

Last edited:
That's because they haven't yet find your site and your great artwork! Give them time.
On another matter, I wonder why do I receive so many offers to enlarge my ### (how on earth do they get such information!! :C

Sounds like you lads get all the fun! I don't get anything through my blog, except maybe the one or two comments from 'followers'.
regarding the scamming 'art buyers' - as with any potential customer (unless they are people I already know) it's a straight forward PayPal transaction or nothing prior to dispatch. I'd rather miss out on a sale than have a piece or work disappear :)
Thanks for the heads-up Juan.

Sounds like you lads get all the fun! I don't get anything through my blog, except maybe the one or two comments from 'followers'.
regarding the scamming 'art buyers' - as with any potential customer (unless they are people I already know) it's a straight forward PayPal transaction or nothing prior to dispatch. I'd rather miss out on a sale than have a piece or work disappear :)
Thanks for the heads-up Juan.
You're right Tim, but believe it or not one too many artists have been fooled with this. The scammers have counterfeited cheques and false Paypal URL that redirects you to another page. You think that you've got the money but you don't. In some cases they've even stolen some money! (see the mentioned sites)

I always use bank transfers, and again, nothing is sent to the purchaser until I know the money's in my account!!

I always use bank transfers, and again, nothing is sent to the purchaser until I know the money's in my account!!

Darn, there goes my Kruger hornbills to hang upon my wall, had hopes you'd send it on promise that I'd attach the dosh to a passing pigeon to wing its way to you (probably via a falcon nest somewhere).

Only trouble with bamk transfers is the amount of info you need to provide the sender - way too much for my liking (especially overseas buyers). Anyway - if it's what you prefer, then that's ok.
Oi Jos - that reminds me . . . . . . ;)

You gotta love these people. My god, if they they put a fraction of the time that they use to scam people, into doing somthing positive they would probably be millionaires

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back