• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info and advice: Whitby to Bempton/Flamborough - October (1 Viewer)

Steve_Halstead

Sparrow or Crow?
I am off to Whitby for a few days in October. I would like to know a few of the following

Good seawatching locations
Sands end has always been a good area but am I missing out on other good sea-watching locations near in the area, where would you go near Whitby etc?

Bempton and Flamborough
These locations, though I have never been look ultimately amazing to bird. Are there places similar to these that are nearer Whitby, I will probably pop to one on the way to Whitby, but advice is always appreciated.

Expected species

I have been looking for the sightings this time last year here:
http://fbo.org.uk/2015/10/?cat=3
which has been a good source of information but do people have a few classics that you will see specifically in the region. SKUAS etc?

Many thanks

Steve

Can't think of anything in the immediate vicinity of Whitby, possibly Long Nab to the South or South Gare to the North would be your best bet for sea watching if you can't travel far. If you can travel as far as Filey the area is good for both sea watching and migrants. Flamborough is possibly the better location as there is a much larger area available and the Head is ideally suited to birds coming in close.

Not wishing to dampen your expectations but remember weather conditions play a vital role. But in October you should pick up a few things at least. Sea watching is generally better the first few hours after dawn and the last two before dark. At Flamborough people sit on top near the fog station but the locals sit below around the corner.
Flamborough is an hour away from Whitby, there is a lot of cover but if there is anything about it is usually well publicised.
Filey is 20 minutes closer to Whitby and a visit to the Brigg is a must but also explore the Country park.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back