• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings in Leeds (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

Not sure if this is the right place to post this (I don't often venture into the "local" forums) but thought it maybe worth reporting a flock of maybe 70-80 Waxwings in the Hyde Park/Burley area of Leeds earlier today (13th Jan at about 3pm) - going around between groups of trees in the residential area, I "caught" them for long enough to get some photos in the little park that doesn't have a name on the map but it's between the terraces just east of Cardigan Road. Don't know how long they'll stick around for, but interestingly this is the second time I've ever seen Waxwings and the first time was in Jan 2013 on Leeds University campus, no more than half a mile away...

Woodhouse Square at the back of the Infirmary is a long time waxwing hotspot so your sighting isn't too far away. There seems to have been a bit of an influx over the last week. I saw a flock of at least 100 birds at Crossgates on Sunday, there have been birds seen in Chapel Allerton and Hunslet over the days since.

I'm told there were 20+ on the Model Allotments (the ones between the rugby ground and Burley Road) on Sunday. And through last week several Bramblings as well. I'm going to my allotment this morning, but pessimistic about seeing much.

Well couldn't have been more wrong. 8 Waxwings, 10+ Bramblings, large flocks mixed finches and 6 Fieldfare. Plus 200+ Geese moving from direction of Eccup towards Horsforth.

Waxwings every day this week on the allotment. Some days 'flighty', staying for 10 minutes then heading down towards Burley Station / Burley Green but usually returning within 10 to 20 minutes. Other days resident for hours, moving between the tree they are feeding in and small trees along St Michael's Lane. Smallest flock was 8, largest 34 birds.

Brambling numbers going down, didn't see any past few days.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back