• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiger Beetle (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
I was tidying up my photo catalog and came across these two images of a Tiger Beetle taken at the reserve next to Malaga on 10.06.2013.

After searching I thought it was Cicindela flexuosa and am hoping that someone can confirm or correct the ID.

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• 7DA_2235.jpg
    7DA_2235.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 7DA_2233.jpg
    7DA_2233.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 26
I was tidying up my photo catalog and came across these two images of a Tiger Beetle taken at the reserve next to Malaga on 10.06.2013.

After searching I thought it was Cicindela flexuosa and am hoping that someone can confirm or correct the ID.

Thanks

Paul

I cannot find the name Cicindela flexuosa on Faur Eur, are you sure this species occurs in Spain?

remember a vast number (majority) of internet images of less well known groups not attached to a reputable website are misidentified.

Thanks Ficedula.

After some more searching I found it in Fauna eureopea as

Lophyra (Lophyra) flexuosa (Fabricius, 1787)
=Cicindela flexuosa Fabricius, 1787

which is in Spain.

Any recommendations for a website with reliably labelled images pictures of beetles?

Thanks

Paul

Thanks Ficedula.

After some more searching I found it in Fauna eureopea as

Lophyra (Lophyra) flexuosa (Fabricius, 1787)
=Cicindela flexuosa Fabricius, 1787

which is in Spain.

Any recommendations for a website with reliably labelled images pictures of beetles?

Thanks

Paul

Well done, since they revamped it I find it difficult to navigate.

Not aware of any free carabid websites, it will be a matter of looking at the reputation of people who have posted identified photos. Probably best that can be done without paying for http://carabidae.org/taxa/

However, it would appear that Lophyra flexuosa is the only member of the genus known from Europe so likely that your identification correct.

Not aware of any free carabid websites, it will be a matter of looking at the reputation of people who have posted identified photos. Probably best that can be done without paying for http://carabidae.org/taxa/

However, it would appear that Lophyra flexuosa is the only member of the genus known from Europe so likely that your identification correct.

Thanks for that. Lophyra flexuosa is one of the species I can see without paying the 50 euro per year and it does appear to match.

Cheers, Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back