• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Land of the Tiger camera traps (1 Viewer)

I am sorely tempted, but think it will need to wait a while. Some critter is leaving little scats on my veranda every so often, I presume a martin or polecat ...I guess such a camera would solve the riddle once and for all.

Most of the time they do but it depends on the light. If the picture is taken into the sun you get some dreadful ones.l

Here is a moggie wandering past and one of same cat cropped.

I got my first camera about 7 months ago and I just love it. So much in fact that I've now bought another one.

TS

Wow that's a great shot. I haven't really tried leaving it out during the day, didn't think the quality would be that good. What setting was it on?

I've had some good quality shots during the day. I think the sensor's quite capable and the lens reasonable. 8M gives you a lot of pixels to be able to crop into and still see detail.

Thanks for the light diffuser frost gel link by the way!

Wow that's a great shot. I haven't really tried leaving it out during the day, didn't think the quality would be that good. What setting was it on?

You should leave it out during the day, you never know what you might get. I loved your magpie and squirrel.

I prefer using the still shots... not sure why really. Mine is a different make to yours. It was set to take a sequence of 3 photos with a minute gap before it could be triggered again. I leave the IR on automatic so that it comes on when there is too little light.

I find that the wildlife can see the red flickering lights on the camera when the IR goes off but I have found that badgers don't seem too worried about it, probably because they're not looking up at it. The second camera I got has low emitters and it is less obvious in the dark but it doesn't seem to be any more effective than the old one.

I would have liked to get one with a screen so I could check the placing in situe but they were quite a bit more expensive. I spend a lot of time crawling about on the ground to check that it's in a good position. (Then find out later that it wasn't quite right :gh:)

I'm very interested to see more of your captures as I dithered for ages about whether to get the Bushnel camera or not. Impressed with what it has taken so far.

TS

Is it too cold in Edinburgh?

Baltic, not much came out to play last night. Though I did learn not to put peanuts under the carpet on the compost heap for the mice, the foxes just jump up on it. Oops.

Just not enough free daylight hours to set it up at the mo, will post more stuff when I have it...

So it was at a badger sett for 2 nights, I saw there was an hour and a half of footage, but I moved it to somewhere else and left it out another night. I got it back this morning.

Did I get any badgers?

Well, the answer is no, a lot of foxes wandering around though. Maybe they just decided it was too cold, I think I'll go and put it at a different entrance hole/area tonight.

A strange thing though - I have about 60 files that say they are 0 bytes, all from the coldest night, but triggered at different times through the night. The camera also reset it's date and time for some reason (there are even a few which claim we are in the year 2026). The temperature got down to about minus 10, maybe less, but the camera is supposed to work at lower temperatures than that. I can't think of any other explanation though, except maybe the batteries? Anyone have any ideas or experience of a similar situation?

Attachments

• fox ravy bf.jpg
    fox ravy bf.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 281
Well, the answer is no, a lot of foxes wandering around though. Maybe they just decided it was too cold, I think I'll go and put it at a different entrance hole/area tonight.

A strange thing though - I have about 60 files that say they are 0 bytes, all from the coldest night, but triggered at different times through the night. The camera also reset it's date and time for some reason (there are even a few which claim we are in the year 2026). The temperature got down to about minus 10, maybe less, but the camera is supposed to work at lower temperatures than that. I can't think of any other explanation though, except maybe the batteries? Anyone have any ideas or experience of a similar situation?

I haven't had any resetting of dates and time etc but I have found that mine don't like the extreme cold. I had to wave my arms in front of one for ages before it would activate. Perhaps where your camera was set got much colder than you thought?

One possibility is that a bit of moisture has got into the camera. I had that happen once and that did make it do odd things. It was fine after letting it dry out at home for a couple of days.

You could be right about the batteries running low or being affected by the cold.

I haven't had mine out for a few days but now it's a bit milder I'll get them set up again and see how they go.

Love your fox. I still haven't got a daylight shot of one.

I haven't had any resetting of dates and time etc but I have found that mine don't like the extreme cold. I had to wave my arms in front of one for ages before it would activate. Perhaps where your camera was set got much colder than you thought?

One possibility is that a bit of moisture has got into the camera. I had that happen once and that did make it do odd things. It was fine after letting it dry out at home for a couple of days.

Love your fox. I still haven't got a daylight shot of one.

Moisture is definitely possible, some of the videos show really heavy snow. There was some sitting on top and a little bit of water round the seals when I opened it, though none inside. Anyway I've got it open and I'll leave it inside for another day or so.

The foxes were up and about until about midday, then appeared again at 5ish. One came along and settled for a nap millimetres too far to the right, I have a video of his tail whilst digging around a bit and making a bed. Then has a snooze just out of sight. Bit annoying! The still doesn't really do the videos justice, the foxes do look amazing in the snow. Surprisingly healthy looking and a really bushy, deep red coat. Having said that though, they obviously look even better in real life!

I forgot to say, I also bought a thin bike lock in a tape measure type contraption. Its thin enough to slip through the holes where the strap goes and long enough to go round a decent sized tree. Gives a little more peace of mind!

There seem to be a few people around with these camera traps. I wonder if we should start a thread and see how many different species we can all record with them?

Last edited:
Moisture is definitely possible, some of the videos show really heavy snow. There was some sitting on top and a little bit of water round the seals when I opened it, though none inside. Anyway I've got it open and I'll leave it inside for another day or so.

The foxes were up and about until about midday, then appeared again at 5ish. One came along and settled for a nap millimetres too far to the right, I have a video of his tail whilst digging around a bit and making a bed. Then has a snooze just out of sight. Bit annoying! The still doesn't really do the videos justice, the foxes do look amazing in the snow. Surprisingly healthy looking and a really bushy, deep red coat. Having said that though, they obviously look even better in real life!

I forgot to say, I also bought a thin bike lock in a tape measure type contraption. Its thin enough to slip through the holes where the strap goes and long enough to go round a decent sized tree. Gives a little more peace of mind!

There seem to be a few people around with these camera traps. I wonder if we should start a thread and see how many different species we can all record with them?

I try and make sure I have a bit of tissue to wipe round the seals so it doesn't seep in when I open the camera.

I find it infuriating when the target is just out of shot, especially when your fox was doing something really interesting. Typical!

A bike lock is a good idea. I haven't got anything yet and I do worry when the cameras are away from home.

Well done for starting a camera trap thread. I'll sort some photos out for it.

Bushnell cameras eat batteries! At least on high quality 1 minute video settings. Bearing in mind heavy snow and below minus 10 temperatures recently, which it has spent about 5 days in.

My first set of 8 batteries gone in 5ish weeks... maybe 300 minutes of video recorded over about 15 nights. Reasonable? Far less than the claimed one year of battery life and makes me wonder how they survived for weeks out in the high himalayas.......

Time to invest in some decent rechargables and be a bit more frugal with the settings!

PS it also reset itself over the last couple of nights, claiming we are in the year 2029.

I want to buy one of these camera traps and I I need one before the 24th of December if I do buy one.

Can I buy these in a store?

If I order online and have them delivered - how long will they take to reach my door step??

I want to buy one of these camera traps and I I need one before the 24th of December if I do buy one.

Can I buy these in a store?

If I order online and have them delivered - how long will they take to reach my door step??

I got mine online from here http://www.uttingsoutdoors.co.uk/Product/272/106386/bushnell-trophy-cam-brown-119435/

Standard delivery took two days and having just looked, there is an extensive list of delivery times over the christmas period on the website. I thought their service was excellent so I'm pretty confident they'll get it to you by the 24th.

They don't include batteries (you can use either 4 or 8 AA) or a memory (SD) card, though there is a little internal memory. I started with 8 top-end duracells but they've run out after 5 weeks of quite intensive use in cold temperatures, so I've ordered some top rechargeables and I'll be sticking to them in future. I also use an 8gb SD card which is plenty for me, to give an indication a high quality photo is about 4mb, a high quality 30 second video about 11mb.

Wish someone would get me another one for christmas!!

I am just so worried about buying it LOL

It is expensive and i wonder aboiut the quality.

Is it worth it?

2 days is excellent!

I am just so worried about buying it LOL

It is expensive and i wonder aboiut the quality.

Is it worth it?

2 days is excellent!

Well I guess it depends on your interests, but to me it was absolutely worth the money. Have you been through this thread? There are a few stills and a link to a youtube video of a wood mouse to give you an idea of quality, which I think is excellent. Obviously weather, light etc can affect the images in the same way they can any camera, but you can get some great shots and videos with this one.

Are they safe to leave in the rain?

I would love to see what is out there which we dont see so yes my interests say buy this cam.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back