• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

It was nice to escape into the wilds of Norfolk again today - it seems so long since I have been out and a long time since I posted on here - its been a mentally exhausting few weeks - father has now been discharged home thank goodness, but its so terribly sad to see him walking with a frame and so slowly - hopefully he will be using one stick eventually (see blog for details).

Choseley Barns and Titchwell RSPB

A disgusting morning to go out in - but I HAD to go - its been my first opportunity to go out/birding for ages. I was in full rain clothes before I even stepped out of the house!

Arrived Choseley Barns mid-morning after driving through some serious flooding on route and sat in the car watching Corn Buntings, Yellow Hammers, greenfinches, chaffinches, hedge Sparrows and 2 blackbirds all feeding on the concrete area.

Titchwell RSPB - The rain was so bad I left everything else in the car and just simply took my bins. Didn't really see very much, but just lovely to be out - usual birds at the feeders: greenfinches, chaffinches, robins, blue tits, great tits, pheasants etc etc. I started to count Shelduck, got to 30+.... there was more, but the rain was so bad I couldn't be bothered to continue counting! 2 Avocets were skimming the water close by the main bank and 3 Goldeneye (one drake) were a nice surprise in the tidal marsh along with 6 Little Grebes all ducking and diving. On reaching the seawatching platform I turned right (east) and walked to the creek where I saw 3 ringed plovers and 2 Grey Plovers standing motionless and looking pretty fed-up. 6 Carrion Crows were standing about around the tide line beyond the creek. Tons of waders on the shoreline in the pouring rain but couldn't really focus on anything much. On the return walk along the main bank, the goldeneyes had disappeared from view. I passed very few people walking along the bank in these dire weather conditions!!! Ordered a cheese and onion pastie from the Feeding Station and ate it in the car with my flask of coffee and checked on my parents on route back to Lynn before doing a shift this afternoon.

Can't update my blog on my Applemac - only by my Apple iphone, so can't add any pictures, or access Facebook, or open photoshop or access iTunes - going to start a HELP thread in the computer's section of BF I think!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Salthouse Snow Buntings . . .

. . . are usually in and around the car park, depending on where the photographers have thrown their seed.

They can be feeding by the standing water pools (lots of those, at the moment) or on the embankments, which surround the car park.

When disturbed, they will often fly on to the shingle- soon to return.

The closest views can be obtained by staying in the car, which you have angled accordingly.

Attachments

• 001pse_edited-1.jpg
    001pse_edited-1.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 73
. . . are usually in and around the car park, depending on where the photographers have thrown their seed.

They can be feeding by the standing water pools (lots of those, at the moment) or on the embankments, which surround the car park.

When disturbed, they will often fly on to the shingle- soon to return.

The closest views can be obtained by staying in the car, which you have angled accordingly.

thanks m8,

Yes - I agree with John, Ian. I've just put our modest report on the Vacation thread. We saw them on the bank/meadow next to the carpark/the entrance area/far up the bank. Just sit around and wait.

Titchwell March 1st

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over saltmarsh
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 80 on fresh marsh
Velvet scoter - 11 offshore

Paul

West Runton Waxwings (NB plural)

Following a strenuous day at the chalk-face, my drive home was leavened by the thought of a Waxwing which, the pager informed me, had been all day by the Village Inn.

Put on to it quickly, by a local birder, we walked around to see it better from the to a car park, the other side of its tree. Some non-birders were shown it through my bins, together with a brief explanation of the occurrence and the pager networks.

Imagine my surprise when, after calling strongly twice, it flew off to the west- only to join 4 others overhead ! They circled a few times and pitched down nearby, before vanishing and then returning.

Last edited:
Don't want to tempt fate but it felt positively spring-like today, had an excellent walk along Blakeney Bank today, for anyone going for a three Swan day in the area there was a Whooper in with the Brents while a Short-eared Owl gave close flybys on the seaward side. A female Merlin perched for some time but i missed it fly as i was polishing by bins at the time. Hares were also in good no's with lots of boxing going on.

A few pics attached of this afternoons Waxwing at the Village Inn in West Runton (which I see has now been joined by another four, well done John!).

As per usual the Black Redstart was elusive as ever, evading detection after the initial report this morning, and no sign of the Jack Snipe reported there on Saturday either, but I did manage to pick out the Glaucous Gull perched on the groynes along Sheringham seafront from the beach car park there!

Simon

Attachments

• WaxwingWR1.jpg
    WaxwingWR1.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 71
  • WaxwingWR3.jpg
    WaxwingWR3.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 52
  • WaxwingWR5.jpg
    WaxwingWR5.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Any idea where the Jack snipe was ? The stubble field was being ploughed up last thursday.

We checked out Surlingham and Wheatfen this morning for Jack snipe and lesser pecker, both sites were underwater, best we could manage were a few Bewick's swan flyovers and 2 woodcock.

Whittlingham lane was pretty quiet too with only the Scaup seemingly left in the 20 mins or so we spent there.

Any idea where the Jack snipe was ? The stubble field was being ploughed up last thursday.

QUOTE]

No apart from it was flushed from the cliff top fields somewhere as per the observers blog. There is still a thin strip of stubble that has been left along the western edge of the field where we had 13 Common Snipe in the pouring rain y'day, but there was only one in there today.

The other place to try is the grassy square which divides the fields north of the farm buildings where there has been Common Snipe each time that I've looked there this year, including one today.

The 'traditional' spot for them in the past was the pools in the north east corner of the grass field which is on your right just before you turn into the car park but it is all fenced off now so access is no longer possible, tho you could be lucky to spot one from by the shelter or from the road.

Simon

Last edited:
Swans on the move.

I was out well before sunrise this morning and crossing eastwards a few miles north of the Wensum valley came a number of groups of Bewicks swans. Guess they are starting the migration home. For the second time this week I had a pair of ruddy shielduck overhead. It looks as though they are going to nest localy again.

Two or more cranes heading east over Briston at 6.15 last night,bugling madly. Now debating the moral issue of including 'heard only' species on my garden list <grin>

Gordon

PS no moral issue at all - garden list +1

Hi

An interloping birder here from Essex. Just thought I'd post my sightings from Chedgrave and Thorpe Marshes from yesterday on here for Norfolk birders.

Finally got to Haddiscoe Station around midday, no thanks to the wonderful rails ervice we have these days..anyway enough moaning it was a beautiful day.

Went to Thorpe Marshes first by bicycle below St Olaves Bridge and viewed the marshes for a while. There were a couple of herds of Mute Swan totalling some 200+ birds, but no other swan spevies among them. I also had a Common Buzzard distantly, as well as 3 Marsh Harrier and a male Merlin trying unsuccessfully to grab a Meadow Pipit for dinner.

I then moved on to Chedgrave Marshes, crossing over the bridge, then taking the track that runs by the train line past Fritton Marshes until the start of the Chedgrave Marshes and then took the track that runs parallel with the Waveney River and Chedgrave Marshes and well worth it it was too.

Almost immediately got onto first one then a 2nd Rough-legged Buzzard 'hovering' more like Osprey than Kestrel high above the marshes. Continual observation throughout the afternoon led me to believe there was an adult male and immature (possibly female as appeared larger). Am I right in thinking this?

In attendance with the the Rough-legs were a host of other raptors, as follows:

2 Peregrine -adult male and female
4+ Kestrel
1 Merlin - female
1 Goshawk - imm male (flew overhead into Waveneny Forest)
8+ Marsh Harrier
2 Hen Harrier - 1 2ndyr male 1 ringtail
5+ Short-eared Owl (could have been as many as 8)
3 Barn Owl (one right overhead screeching away)

Other non-raptors included

6 Oystercatcher
4 Redshank
1 Green Sandpiper
20+ Curlew
1000+ Lapwing (not on the marsh but towards Berney Arms)
20+ Shelduck
30+ Mallard
20+ Teal
2 Gadwall
10+ Wigeon
Bearded Tit (calling)
Reed Bunting 3-4
Fieldfare 1
Mistle Thrush 2
Water Rail - 4-5 calling
Green Woodpecker 1 calling

Added some very dodgy digi photos..first time out with this kit and also am limited to cropped images.

Cheers

Sean Minns
Colchester;)

PS Penny if you wanna PM could help you out with I-phone problems probably.

Attachments

• RSCN0676.jpg
    RSCN0676.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 100
  • RSCN0732.jpg
    RSCN0732.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 115
  • RSCN0734.jpg
    RSCN0734.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 127
  • RSCN0735.jpg
    RSCN0735.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

QUOTE]

No apart from it was flushed from the cliff top fields somewhere as per the observers blog. There is still a thin strip of stubble that has been left along the western edge of the field where we had 13 Common Snipe in the pouring rain y'day, but there was only one in there today.

The other place to try is the grassy square which divides the fields north of the farm buildings where there has been Common Snipe each time that I've looked there this year, including one today.

The 'traditional' spot for them in the past was the pools in the north east corner of the grass field which is on your right just before you turn into the car park but it is all fenced off now so access is no longer possible, tho you could be lucky to spot one from by the shelter or from the road.

Simon

It was myself that had that in the cliff top field, it came out from under my feet from the strip of stubble on the West of the field it took off and landed three field west and then tucked down in the grass and out of site. Was with a single Common Snipe at the time.

Lesser Pecker.

Hi all.

What has happened to the LSW? Apart from a couple of well known sites, they have become very tricky to see. After a couple of treks over to a very well known LSW location with no sightings, I am gonna look for myself.

I live in Dereham and know of 5 or 6 places they have been seen in the not too distant past. I am to devote a bit of time to check these out and some new locations that look great for LSW (there are plenty of new locations to check out). I will give it my best shot, although to be honest, I think I am flogging a dead horse. Fingers crossed. Any local knowledge or tips are welcome.

Regards.
Fox.

My dad told me he had 4 Goshawk at the traditional site (in recent years) in the brecks this morning.

Chris

Your dad must have been standing next to us then !!

3 different males and a female, pretty awesome to say the least

Also woodlarks singing and flying around over our heads

Last edited:
Titchwell March 2nd

Today's highlights

Twite - 50 on brackish marsh
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
Med gull - adult on fresh marsh
Stonechat - 3 on saltmarsh - could be early spring migrants?

Paul

North Walsham Sainsbury's offer 3-for-1

Another delightful sortie after beating my head against hordes of hostile brains, saw close views of the 3 Waxwings at the emporium's car park.

Almost oblivious to we, they sat in the late afternoon sun, occasionally flying down to pluck some more berries and calling from time to time.

We can't grumble when such sights as these are granted us. I suppose we'd hardly give them a second glance, if this was, say, Uppsala.

Attachments

• 007pse.jpg
    007pse.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 026pse.jpg
    026pse.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 073pse.jpg
    073pse.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread

Back