• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (16 Viewers)

Titchwell March 29th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Tree sparrow - 2 on feeders
Black tailed godwit - 80 on fresh marsh
Med gull - 2 adults on fresh marsh
Swallow - 2 west

Paul

14 Shorelarks were still at Holkham this afternoon, but maybe of more interest following the recent discussions, the Pay & Display system is now in operation down Lady Annes Drive. Its £2 for up to an hour, £2.50 for up to 2 hrs, £3.50 for up to 3, and £5 for more than 3 hrs, so its cheaper now for a quick visit but obviously £1.50 more for a long stay.

Simon

Lady Anne Parking

Extortion if you ask me.
Having had to pay about 8 quid over two visits last week.
To be fare the Hall grounds are free parking and a lovely setting in summer
but I guess they'll catch on to that sooner or later.
Mick

Titchwell March 30th

Today's highlights

Sedge warbler - 1st of the year singing in reedbed this afternoon
Blackcap - 1st of the year singing on Meadow Trail
Tree sparrow - 3 on feeders
Bittern - male booming + 1 feeding in reedbed
Hen harrier - ringtail over reedbed early morning
Med gull - 2 adults on fresh marsh all day
Wheatear - 1 on beach

Paul

Extortion if you ask me.
Having had to pay about 8 quid over two visits last week.
To be fare the Hall grounds are free parking and a lovely setting in summer
but I guess they'll catch on to that sooner or later.
Mick

Yeah, well after all, they do need to finance more rounds of amunition for their punters to shoot another 800 Woodcocks....

Water pipit---Titchwell 29th March
Brent Geese[20+]----Wells Harbour 29th March
" " " [30+]-----Holme Dunes " " "
2 pairs Gadwall--------Holme Reserve " " "

Sue , they do not need to finance the woodcock shooting punters. The woodcock shooters will have spent a lot of cash to shoot them. I am not sure what its costs to shoot woodcock at Holkham , but they charge the guns £42.00 per pheasant they shoot. That is what pay's for the habbitat the woodcock need and without it many of the estate woodlands would have been cut down and growing corn. Its a sad fact but all farmland has to pay for its self by growing crops or providing habitat for game so the shooting can be sold. The equasion is simple these days wildlife has to pay by providing tourism or sport.

Last edited:
Charges at Holkham

To be realistic: it's the parking fees that keep the chavs away. Free-access reserves in Norfolk often end up vandalised and dodgy to visit. Let's face it: nothing good is for free any more!

To be realistic: it's the parking fees that keep the chavs away. Free-access reserves in Norfolk often end up vandalised and dodgy to visit. Let's face it: nothing good is for free any more!

Interesting concept charging to keep the chavs away!! I have seen lots of "chav" at Holkham on a bank holiday weekend!! I suspect it is more to do with making money!!!:cat:

Titchwell March 31st

Today's highlights

Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
White wagtail - 3 on beach, 1 on fresh marsh
Wheatear - 1 on beach
Avocet - 50 on fresh marsh
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Tree sparrow - 3 on feeders
Blackcap - 1 singing on Meadow Trail

Paul

Went to Upton Fen for the first time at the weekend. Marsh Tits showed well with loads of singing chiff chaff. Guides say good for LS woodpecker can anyone confirm as I only had a short time there and wasn't a good time of day or good day.

Greylag: gargantuan gourmet goosefest ?

Haven't tried Woodcock, although I've heard they're very tasty. (Wood ants might have an opinion.) Snipe, too.

It's a pity we can't convince the mass murderers of our feathered friends that Greylag is some kind of delicacy, though.

I've tried woodcock. I thought it was overated. I love pheasant but partridge is my absolute favourite. Pigeon breast is great too, a very cheap underated meat. I love wildlife and birds, but also think we must let some traditional country ways, i.e shooting game, carry on as it has the last few hundred years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back