• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twitchers' rage at hut love nests (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

this thread is hilarious. i know quite a few hides here and there are used by kids/tramps for late drinking but i've never heard of this before, haha.

this thread is hilarious. i know quite a few hides here and there are used by kids/tramps for late drinking but i've never heard of this before, haha.

Unfortunately (and there is a serious side to this despite some excellent takes on this thread), there is a lot more going on behind this story than meets the eye. There have even been cases where hides have had to be closed because of this kind of activity. It is not so much the adult v adult side of this because I guess a lot of us birders know we could happen across all sorts of weird activity (I certainly have) when we are out pursuing our interests but what happens if a family party blunders into one of the hides. I am not sure if LWT and the RSPB deliberately chose to help the humorous side of this issue in the press but I know several reserve wardens who are extremely troubled by this behaviour and its sometimes more sinister overtones.

In the meantime, how about walking in and asking if there are any great tits in view?

Is that a typical Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust 'hide' in The Mail's photo? :-O
I wish Somerset could afford a few of those.

Richard

Some hide ... I have to wonder what they're smoking/popping/injecting at the Mail ... isn't that the "veranda" at Asa Wright?

Peter C.

Unfortunately (and there is a serious side to this despite some excellent takes on this thread), there is a lot more going on behind this story than meets the eye. There have even been cases where hides have had to be closed because of this kind of activity. It is not so much the adult v adult side of this because I guess a lot of us birders know we could happen across all sorts of weird activity (I certainly have) when we are out pursuing our interests but what happens if a family party blunders into one of the hides. I am not sure if LWT and the RSPB deliberately chose to help the humorous side of this issue in the press but I know several reserve wardens who are extremely troubled by this behaviour and its sometimes more sinister overtones.

...Someone had to go and lower the tone...... ;)

I guess they thought that if they tried to be too harsh they would get critiscised, at least the hides are not being physically damaged (we assume) as they would be if it were groups of delinquent teenagers using the hides to smoke drugs and practise arson in .....

Are we talking nocturnal activities here or daytime ones where people are also enjoying the prospect of possibly getting caught?? (I hear that's a turn on too). If the latter, then of course in todays digi age a few pics of the offenders (distasteful as the idea sounds? ) could rain on their parade, even lead to prosecutions.... so get snapping folks :t: . (You can even make good money apparently if the quality is good enough ....)

At any rate, given the recent free publicity, I imagine the incidences of such unseemly behaviours will be on the up in the area...?

Anyway, hides are for watching birds from, or occasionally kipping in, and it should remain that way.

I am truly surprised the Mail didn't imply foreigners were doing this.
In Belgium, "birding" means "having sex" – so "These hides are meant for birding..." is an open invitation.

Most hides are of course useless for twitching: if something rare finally turns up that has to be watched from a hide, they are always too small and too full of pensioners having their lunch.

I don't know....gone are the days when a hot flask and a sausage roll were the highlight of a couple of hours in a hide :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back