• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in El Salvador Guatemala + Honduras (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

Hi
my name is Tom Jenner and I've just signed up to this forum. I'm a British birder that currently lives in El Salvador in northern Central America. over the last 5 years I have been studying the birds in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras and I have recently posted a website on birding in the area(mayanbirding.com). I am hoping to improve the site by adding more photos (it currently has about 200 species), more birding sites (it currently has about 60) and some trip reports (it currently has a grand total of 0). I would be greatful for people who have any useful suggestions.
Tom

Hi Tom,
A hearty welcome to BF. It is always nice to see someone come along with an expertise that allows the rest of us to expand our own birding knowledge. I'll go have a look at your site.

I'm sure that you are aware of this site: http://www.nhm.ku.edu/komar/

Again Welcome!
:clap:

Hi Steve
Thanks for the warm welcome. yes I'm familiar with Oliver Komar's excellent El Salvador birding site. he has been the top birder in the region for many years now. I hope you enjoy my new site and that it entices you and a few other birders to come out and visit the area. There is still so much to be discovered.
Tom

Tom,

I've just had a look-see. Never seen a photo of Mangrove Vireo, nor Spot-breasted Bobwhite. What really got my eye, however, was the apparent Podilymbus on Lake Atitlan. Might I ask the date of those photos?

Grebes on Atitlan

Hi Steve
The photos were taken on January 5th of this year. There were at least two individuals and they were in full summer plumage. Pied-bills should be in winter (basic) plumage at this time. However, Atitlan Grebe had the black bib and bill stripe all year round. I wonder what these birds actually are. I think its very unlikely that there are still any pure Atitlan Grebes any more, but could they be the hybrids that are mentioned in the literature. It could also be that the resident Pied-billed Grebes may have a different moult pattern to those further north, though I have certainly seen winter plumage Pied-bills in El Salvador way into March. I would be interested in any comments that people have.
Tom

Going to El Savlador

We will be arriving in El Salvador on Noveber 14 for a family gathering. We are bird watchers and would like to know where to go and if we can hire a guide. Can you point us in the right direction.

We will be staying with my sister in Los Planes de Renderos.

Thanks you

Arlyne Draper
[email protected]

QUOTE=tomjenner]Hi
my name is Tom Jenner and I've just signed up to this forum. I'm a British birder that currently lives in El Salvador in northern Central America. over the last 5 years I have been studying the birds in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras and I have recently posted a website on birding in the area(mayanbirding.com). I am hoping to improve the site by adding more photos (it currently has about 200 species), more birding sites (it currently has about 60) and some trip reports (it currently has a grand total of 0). I would be greatful for people who have any useful suggestions.
Tom[/QUOTE]

Hi Arlyne
There are no bird guides in El Salvador, because there are so few birders that visit the region that nothing has really developed that way. My website (link below) has most of the sites that you can visit and I will be happy to give you any more help and information that you need. El Salvador is not the kind of place where you just want to go wandering around the countryside, because of the risks of robberies, but the national parks are safe and have some great birding. You need a guide to visit any of them and some have at least some knowledge of the birds (if you know the Spanish names). The best sites to visit are El Imposible, Montecristo, Cerro Verde (which has just re-opened), Walter Deininger and Perquin. Of those, Cerro Verde and Walter Deininger are the only ones that can really be done on a day trip from San Salvador. There are also some coastal sites that are well worth a visit. Feel free to contact me directly through my website e-mail ([email protected]), or with a personal message through birdforum. If you are free on weekends, we may be able to plan a trip together. I hope that you enjoy your visit.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back