• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

an afternoon with good results! (1 Viewer)

erik

cheesehead
Netherlands
Hey peoples and likeminded creatures,

I'm just back from visiting my local patch for one hour. It is a windy day but the sun shines, sometimes hidden by white clouds.

There were lots of birds hangin around at the water and the surrounding land.

Mallard
Ruddy Shelduck
Grey Lag Goose
Moorhen
Coot
Lapwing
Green sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Blackheaded Gull
Common Tern
Swift
House Martin
A probably lost Crested Tit
Wheatear
Yellow Hammer
Reed Bunting

A nice list i think.

Maybe more to follow on monday...

Hi Erik,

I guess I'm the like-minded creature ;)

Yep, a nice list; Crested Tit is great, not an easy bird to see in Britain! I guess the Ruddy Shelduck was an escape from a zoo?

Here's my local patch list, also from this morning!
Mallard
Moorhen
Rock Dove (Feral Pigeon)
Stock Dove
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Swift
Great Spotted Woodpecker
House Martin
Grey Wagtail
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush
Garden Warbler
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Goldcrest
Long-tailed Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Nuthatch
Treecreeper
Magpie
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Starling (only one :-((
[ ] a gap here for the House Sparrows alas no more
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Bullfinch

As you might guess, mostly suburban woodland, with a small stream running through it. The House Martins and Garden Warbler were the first on my patch this year.

Michael

Hey Erik, I think its a fairly boring list apart from the Garden Warbler . . all of them common birds!

Are any of them rare for you then?

Wish I could fly away too!

Michael

The goldfinch you don't see here that often, as well as Grey wagtail. (Funny thing we call those Big Yellow wagtail)
I never even saw a Grey wagtail...

Cheers, Erik

Hi Erik!

Surprised you don't have Goldfinches, I thought they'd be common in Netherlands!

Grey Wagtail I can understand, they like mountains, and well, er . . . hmmm, how can I put this . . . what is the Netherlands famous for NOT having . . . :D

Michael the likeminded creature

Michael, we do have goldfinches, but i don't see them very often.
My first one was close to home when i was about 14, the second time i saw two at my patch, the last time i saw a flock near the sea. They do live around some places in common amounts but not here at least :)

Another funny thing, We call bullfinches goudvinken (gold finches)
Can you get the point for me how hard it is not to make mistakes!!!

Hi Erik, hope you get to see some more 'Putter' soon then!

So who came up with 'Goudvink' for Bullfinch in Dutch then?!? What a strange one, I sure do see your difficulty! :stuck:

. . . Almost as confusing as the American group that wanted to re-name European Black Vulture 'Cinereous Vulture' (which means 'pale grey vulture' !!!) so it wouldn't be confused with American Black Vulture :h?:

Michael the likeminded critter

Hi Erik:
Congrats with your sighting and identifiactions, I am new at this and I am going on my first field trip tomorrow 8.00Am with a local birding group, we travel by car and will cover 200 square kilometers in total in order to visit 3 specific lakes where the migrating water fowl normally make there arrivals.
I hope, that someday I would be as fortunate as you and others to identify, I am more into sitting quietly with spotting scope and digicamera taking pictures of Birds etc.
regards and enjoy.
Walther (de groetjes)

Hi Eric , ive seen a lot of similar birds today on my patch had my first swift through today, we have had a good movement of hirundines today and ive been checking them all in case there might be something unusual.
Im jealous of your Crested Tit as this is a species ive yet to see.
My greylags / moorhen / and lapwing have all got young at the moment and soon we may have shelduck , and shoveler with families.

It's funny to see that all those Scotties are so jealous of the crested tits! I saw them for the first time in February. I was in a forest in the south of Holland and i really wanted to see them sometime. I didn't really look for it but suddenly there was one at beautiful close distance. Later i found out the surrounding trees had about 9 CT's jumping around!
Since then this was my first one again.

Oops, when remembering... i did see one before the februarysighting. Once in a forest one year ago a very quick sighting for only one second.

Greetz, Erik

PS Walther, i think i have an advantage in starting at a young age :)

Hi Erik,

Scotties are OK for Crested Tits, there's a small population in the native pines in central Scotland . . its just that there's none in England!

Right on about starting young :D I started when I was 14, maybe a bit earlier. I think its particularly easy to learn bird songs and calls when younger

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back