• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finches and their nests (1 Viewer)

JoeR

Hi All,

I have one of those sunsetter awnings on my deck that you crank out by hand. I noticed last Spring that on both sides of the awning in the mechanism, under the fabric, finchs made nests there. I noticed that if I crank out the awning, it would disrupt both nests on each side, so I had to deal without out it for almost the whole summer.

So now, in the cold weather here in PA, I see the finches there making nests again, or just cleaning it up getting it ready. Don't they take a break?

Would it be mean of me to remove the 2 nests and block the way in somehow? I thought they made nests in the Spring. I have several birdhouses and feeders in my yard, but I would like to remove these 2 nests that were put together in my awning last year. I don't want another Summer of not using my awning.

Thanks

I think it is still quite early for serious nest-building, and if you disrupt it now, the birds should have plenty of time for rebuilding elsewhere. If you aren't afraid of too much more snow (in this snowy winter/spring :eek!:), then now would be a good time to open the awning I would think.

By the way, are you sure they are finches (house finches)? Just curious since I didn't know they were early nesters.

I agree with Gretchen. It's early enough in the season that there's time for the birds to build elsewhere if you remove the nests now. And they're definitely finches, are they, not House Sparrows?

Finches nesting

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Yes, they are house finches. Very cute little birds with that reddish color under the neck. There are several different colors flying around in my yard just singing away.

I noticed it when I saw some twigs on the deck floor directly under the nest. As I looked up, I saw one of them chirping away and flew out. So I am guessing he/she is checking out the real estate possibly, or prepping it.

I will remove them this weekend.

Thanks,
Joe

Nesting update: Well, I didn't have the heart to remove the nests a few weeks ago. The 2 of them were working hard that morning pulling dead grass from the lawn and bringing them up to the nest inside the sunsetter. 1 was doing the work, while the other was watching. It's ok...

Thanks for letting us know. It is fun to know where a nest is and to keep an eye on the events. I guess you would have a second window (so to speak) after the young fledge. If you opened the awning then, the parents would find a new location if they wanted to lay again, and you would have your awning for the better part of the summer.

Here is another update. It's been weeks since I've seen the finches come back to the sunsetter. So, over the weekend, I unscrewed a side plate of the awning to check out the nest. I could see that it was a newly built one, with last years nest thrown to the side of it.

Did these birds make this nest early, knowing that they will be nesting in it soon?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back