• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightingale (1 Viewer)

robinm

Saturday 27/4/2003 - spent the day at Stodmarsh. Another good list of over 60 species including several year ticks. However, that is not why I am writing this.

We were walking away from a hide (Reed Bed for anyone who knows Stodmarsh) and heard a nightingale singing. We crept down the track and there no more than 20 feet away from us in a tree he was there - clearly visble and singing his heart out. We watched/listened totally entranced for several minutes and suddenly I thought - CAMERA! At this point he flew off deep into the thicket and started singing again. DAMN!

I consoled myself with the thought that no camera could have captured the magic of those few minutes. It's at times like that that I realise what a great hobby birding is.

What a lovely thing to see and hear -- especially as we have no nightingales. I'll just have to rely on our thrushes for that, and happily so.

But, what came to mind is this: were there ever, or possibly stll, nightingales in Berkeley Square?

Beverley: I very much doubt there were ever nightingales in Berkeley Square and if there were now they'd be coughing to death on exhaust fumes (I used to work 5 mins walk from there).

If you get the chance to hear it, their song is something special.

i had a beauty nightingale feeding off the open ground just past the centre at Minsmere, it must be something in the air this time of year. Any later and they seem to disappear into the deepest bushes!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back