• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thumbs down form In Focus on the Opticron IS 50/60/70 range (1 Viewer)

Lewis 1980

Hello all (long time reader, first time poster)

Just bought my first scope from an In Focus Shop (from reading the glimmering recommendations on here) and was told they don’t stock the Opticron IS range due to too many returns.

Me: "hello, well I'm after my first scope and I think I want an IS 60 with HDF Zoom:

Nice Shop Man: "ah... no you don’t, sit down lad and let me explain B :)"

Ended up a bit over budget but with a GS 665 GA, HDF Zoom and Delta V Tripod for £477 and I am elated... chap that served me was highly patient and very knowledgeable (was not really interested in the sale just the quality of the scopes). I would recommend the shop to anyone.

now looking forward to a week in Scotland visiting the reserves (getting married in Inverness) . Yippee.

(excuse my spelling)

Last edited:
Hello all (long time reader, first time poster)

Just bought my first scope from an In Focus Shop (from reading the glimmering recommendations on here) and was told they don’t stock the Opticron IS range due to too many returns.

Hi and welcome to BirdForum from all the staff.

Glad to hear that you have got your first scope, you'l have fun using it. Very strange to hear the comment about IS scopes, they are well thought of and I've not heard of any issues with them.

Indeed... and thanks for the nice welcome.

I had been reading the forum archives (at BF) on opticron scopes for several weeks getting as much info as possible (before making a choice) and was also shocked by the chap at the shop saying they were of very poor quality (paraphrasing).

I was convinced an IS60 with HDF setup would be a good starter (as it seems it is for many others).

Oh well, they didnt even stock the IS and I have just told my Fiancee about the price and she is ok with the last minute upgrade to a GS 665.

Going to be up at first light and off to cotswold water park.... (bit too excited for a 28 yo I think ;) lol

Indeed... and thanks for the nice welcome.

I had been reading the forum archives (at BF) on opticron scopes for several weeks getting as much info as possible (before making a choice) and was also shocked by the chap at the shop saying they were of very poor quality (paraphrasing).

I was convinced an IS60 with HDF setup would be a good starter (as it seems it is for many others).

Oh well, they didnt even stock the IS and I have just told my Fiancee about the price and she is ok with the last minute upgrade to a GS 665.

Going to be up at first light and off to cotswold water park.... (bit too excited for a 28 yo I think ;) lol

Upgrades are rarely a bad thing. Even last minute. :t:

Hmmmm, 'nice shop man' = salesman, ie person whos job it is to sell you something. Of course, when told what you were after, he could have just said that they had none in stock and watched you walk out the door. Instead, he's got you to part with more money than you'd originally intended and talked you out of a purchase you'd thoroughly researched.

To counter the aforementioned cynical view, i must confess to having had good service at In Focus previously myself but lets be realistic, the staff are there to 'help' you part with your money. I'd say he's done a good job. ;)

"the staff are there to 'help' you part with your money. I'd say he's done a good job. ;)"

true, though this chap is filling in for the week before going back to trek SE Asia recording Birds. I dont think even the permys are on commission.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back