• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for Opticron HR60 eyepice adapter to allow HDF fixed lens to be used. (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
I have an ancient HR60 s scope. The internal thread on the scope is the same diameter as for HDF fixed eyepeices, but a different thread. I'm told that Opticron used to sell adapters to allow HDF eyepieces to be used, but no longer do. Cley Spy used to sell these, but sadly, no longer!

Does anyone have a spare to sell?.

Ooops, just realised this is in the wrong group:flowers: |:$|

Last edited:
Stuart, should be seeing Ron on Sundays work party. Will take it with me!. Will let you know what he says

I think I'm in the same boat as you, if I've understood the thread so far.

I have an old rubber armoured HR60 s ED telescope which takes my old 20x HDF eyepiece (excellent viewing), and doesn't take a newer HDF 28x eyepiece, which I bought by mail order. I visited Opticron in Luton two weeks ago, and they offered to change the telescope thread to metric, but that would mean I'd need to change the 20x eyepiece. (I also have another Opticron 'scope of the same vintage, so just changing the latest eyepiece sort of makes sense!) So, I've been looking round for ways of slightly reducing the thread on my newer eyepiece so that it fits my older telescope.

Have you made any progress?

I have an old rubber armoured HR60 s ED telescope which takes my old 20x HDF eyepiece (excellent viewing), and doesn't take a newer HDF 28x eyepiece, which I bought by mail order. I visited Opticron in Luton two weeks ago, and they offered to change the telescope thread to metric, but that would mean I'd need to change the 20x eyepiece. (I also have another Opticron 'scope of the same vintage, so just changing the latest eyepiece sort of makes sense!) So, I've been looking round for ways of slightly reducing the thread on my newer eyepiece so that it fits my older telescope.

Malcolm

Yes, a friend made an adapter from a piece of Aluminium. It moves the eyepiece about 4mm further from the scope body but does not interfere with close/infinity focus. The wall where the eyepiece oftics poke through the adapter is about 1mm thick as that eyepice is the largest at that end physically. It works well. The friend used to own his own engineering/machining works before he retired. He did it as a one off, i told him that there is a demand for these adapters but he wasn't interested!.
Its probable that SRB ( http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/ )would do it, but don't know about the cost!.

Attachments

• et_IMG_7191.JPG
    et_IMG_7191.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 217
  • et_IMG_7192.JPG
    et_IMG_7192.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 200
Malcolm

Yes, a friend made an adapter from a piece of Aluminium. It moves the eyepiece about 4mm further from the scope body but does not interfere with close/infinity focus. The wall where the eyepiece oftics poke through the adapter is about 1mm thick as that eyepice is the largest at that end physically. It works well. The friend used to own his own engineering/machining works before he retired. He did it as a one off, i told him that there is a demand for these adapters but he wasn't interested!.
Its probable that SRB ( http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/ )would do it, but don't know about the cost!.

Thanks for the suggestions. I bought 32 tpi dies and was getting round to using these as thread chasers to slightly reduce the thread on my eyepiece, but all that has now changed.

Last Friday I visited <In Focus> at Martin Mere, and asked whether they could help. I had the new SDL eyepiece demonstrated and this uses the external thread on the telescope (used by the old eyepiece cover) and fitted well. I was impressed. It's the first zoom eyepiece that I've looked through which worked for me, and being astigmatic (wearing bifocals all the time) I am very sensitive to eye pupil relief. Once again, I've spent more on an eyepiece than I expected!

(However, I'm now also aware from the other thread here that not all copies of this eyepiece work well.)

hi Alan would your friend consider making me a aliminium adapter for my HR Opticron scope to convert it from imperial to metric so that I can purchase a newer and stronger eyepiece that Opticron now produce.
MANY thanks in advance
Adrian

Hi there,
did you get your Opticron HR60 eyepiece adaptor sorted to convert it from imperial to metric please? If so how/ as I now have exactly the same problem? kind regards
Adrian

hi Alan would your friend consider making me a aliminium adapter for my HR Opticron scope to convert it from imperial to metric so that I can purchase a newer and stronger eyepiece that Opticron now produce.
MANY thanks in advance
Adrian
Adrian

Sorry, no. I did post earler that he wasn't interested in doing any more.
Sorry for the delay in replying. I didn't see your posts.

Hi there,
did you get your Opticron HR60 eyepiece adaptor sorted to convert it from imperial to metric please? If so how/ as I now have exactly the same problem? kind regards
Adrian

Hi Adrian,
Sorry for the delay getting back to you - August and early September have been very busy this year.
If you look above for my post dated 27 May 2007, you'll see that I got round the problem by buying an SDL zoom eyepiece, which fits on to the large eyepiece cover thread. And, I'm still pleased with it. Yes, it was expensive...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back