• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Des (UW82) has reported a drake Goosander on the Moors this morning (and there's still an overwintering Chiffchaff knocking about too).

Last edited:
Today's highlights, when for some time the Moors was 60-70% frozen.

THE MOORS:
Goosander (m). Was not present late afternoon-------- Wigeon (2m+5f)
Pochard (2m+1f)------------------------------------------Tufted Duck (17)
Teal (36)---------------------------------------------------Shoveler (4)
G C Grebe(3)----------------------------------------------Water Rail (2)
Snipe (5)

RIVER SALWARPE:
No sign of L S Woodpecker-------------------------------Chiffchaff
Blackcap (m ) +female reported-------------------------Goldcrest (2)
Treecreeper reported

FLASHES:
NO BIRDS!

Attached are a couple of record shots of Goosander and Chiffchaff.

Des.

Attachments

• Goosander 1.JPG
    Goosander 1.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Chiffchaff.JPG
    Chiffchaff.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 71
Hi Phil. Looking at John's photo' of the hide taken on Monday, there appears to be no change in appearance. I went to the Flashes at about 3.15pm and there was no sign of life, bird-wise or otherwise!

Des.

I find that very concerning. There is only just over a week of January left and it's nowhere near finished. I think we need to have another word.:C

I had to have a plan B today as the M5/M6 was closed to Middleton Lakes so I headed south to Upton Warren. It was nice to see the old place again and seeing what a good job the work parties have done.
I reckon the Avocet hide is still a few months away from being completed:eek!: ,no workers were seen this afternoon but at least there were some birds including a Common Gull with a flock of Black-headed Gulls. Other highlights for me were 17 Curlew, 1 Sparrowhawk, 4 Snipe and a Kingfisher.
I may revisit when the hides completed.
Geoff

I had to have a plan B today as the M5/M6 was closed to Middleton Lakes so I headed south to Upton Warren. It was nice to see the old place again and seeing what a good job the work parties have done.
I reckon the Avocet hide is still a few months away from being completed:eek!: ,no workers were seen this afternoon but at least there were some birds including a Common Gull with a flock of Black-headed Gulls. Other highlights for me were 17 Curlew, 1 Sparrowhawk, 4 Snipe and a Kingfisher.
Geoff

Hidewatch...... Day 74

Geoff

Geoff you know you love Upton more8-P no need to make excuses;)John
I think common gull might be new for the year. Phil will tell us

Geoff you know you love Upton more8-P no need to make excuses;)John
I think common gull might be new for the year. Phil will tell us
You may find more rarities than us but we have more variety.
I have just received an email from Nick Martin of RSPB Middleton Lakes saying they have agreed to hold a sponsored bird watch on the 5th of May and we may have our first hide in April or May so things are all go.
May the best reserve win.
Geoff

I have just received an email from Nick Martin of RSPB Middleton Lakes saying they have agreed to hold a sponsored bird watch on the 5th of May and we may have our first hide in April or May so things are all go.
Geoff

bring it on Geoff;)
May 5th it is then will contact Steve Nuttall and have your mobile number to text during the day
B :)john

Geoff

See you next year then Geoff :eek!::eek!:

Geoff

Is this now a race to see has a hide first? ;)

Geoff, your Common Gull is the first that I have been made aware of (bit of Droitwich supression from Woodchat! 8-P). Common Gulls have been becoming increasingly uncommon over recent years; I probably could count the incidents of multiple occurences on one hand last year.

Now 80 species for the year (think Middleton is 93ish?)

Just back from the Mecca. Arrived at 9.30 and spent an hour in the east hide with Andy P (spoonbill finder) all pretty quiet.
Then met Andy H to finish off the NE woodland, with his chainsaw. Apparently as I left Terry N found a little egret which quickly disappeared. From 11am until 1pm did a bit of work ( details and pics later).
After this had lunch in concrete hide (water rail hide I think ?), with Jason K and his Mrs. At about 1.45pm a first winter Little Gull appeared at the north end of the pool. It flew about a bit in front of the east hide, over the islands where it flushed all the lapwing. It then sat on the water in front of the east side reed bed, did another circuit and was then lost (stayed for 10 minutes in all).
Andy and Jase had looked for the lesser pecker, without success, but a flock of siskins were seen.
Species count: GCG 3, little grebe, Cormorant 39, Mute swan pr, Shoveler 8, Teal 78, Tufted 27, pochard 5 (3 males), Coot 125, water rail at least 3, Snipe 2, lapwing 80, Herring gull 3, LBBG 2, BHG c50 {a big clear out of gulls}, Little Gull, plus good numbers of the usual passerines.
B :)John

Now 81 for the year - bring it on! Wonder if this is the same first winter Little Gull that was wandering various West Midlands waters a few weeks ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back