Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 26th March 2010, 01:15   #1
earleybird

camera delay frustrating

Does anyone have a digital camera that takes 7-8 seconds to turn on and zoom to max ready to take a picture ? by the time I get my camera ready and compose to take a picture most of the tits and finches have darted in taken a sunflower seed and legged it

I've tried waiting at the window with the camera switched on and at full zoom but my patience or the batteries give up long before a suitable subject turns up.

Just wondering what everyone else does when trying to get pictures of birds feeding in the garden.?
Old Friday 26th March 2010, 01:40   #2
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by earleybird View Post
Does anyone have a digital camera that takes 7-8 seconds to turn on and zoom to max ready to take a picture ? by the time I get my camera ready and compose to take a picture most of the tits and finches have darted in taken a sunflower seed and legged it

I've tried waiting at the window with the camera switched on and at full zoom but my patience or the batteries give up long before a suitable subject turns up.

Just wondering what everyone else does when trying to get pictures of birds feeding in the garden.?
That one of the reasons why most of us go for a DSLR I am afraid.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 26th March 2010, 12:27   #3
Shaggy2070

Earlybird, If you are still using the Fuji S5600 there is an option to have the lens resume at a previous zoom setting as soon as you turn the camera on. Also when I used mine I changed the auto shut-off to five minutes and if I never took a shot while waiting, I just pressed the shutter button half way just to stop the camera turning off while waiting for something to show.
Also use the LCD screen as little as possible and the batteries last a bit longer.

Hope this helps.
Old Friday 26th March 2010, 12:39   #4
Adam W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
That one of the reasons why most of us go for a DSLR I am afraid.
That was certainly the case for me.
Old Friday 26th March 2010, 12:54   #5
Amarillo

Not necessarily a DSLR. If the poster is taking casual pics in his garden with it sounds like a fairly basic point and shoot, there are plenty of options to give a dramatic improvement from 7-8 secs delay without having to fork out DSLR money.
Old Friday 26th March 2010, 13:03   #6
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I think my Pana fz18 uses less than 2 sec from on until ready to shoot (fully zoomed in)

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 26th March 2010, 23:03   #7
earleybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2070 View Post
Earlybird, If you are still using the Fuji S5600 there is an option to have the lens resume at a previous zoom setting as soon as you turn the camera on. Also when I used mine I changed the auto shut-off to five minutes and if I never took a shot while waiting, I just pressed the shutter button half way just to stop the camera turning off while waiting for something to show.
Also use the LCD screen as little as possible and the batteries last a bit longer.

Hope this helps.
thanks shaggy that default previous zoom setting sounds useful.
its time to get the manual out again and have a bit of a readup. I'm really not being serious with this frankly. I'm running to grab the camera when i see something of interest in the garden and I'm never really prepared with any plan of action.

Its unfortunate that the feeding area is about 25 feet from the house . Maybe I should start expanding the feed area gradually towards the house and think about how I lay things out so that it is easier to get some good shots.

The only half decent pictures I seem to get is of the squirrels
Old Saturday 27th March 2010, 12:08   #8
hollis_f

Quote:
Originally Posted by earleybird View Post
Maybe I should start expanding the feed area gradually towards the house and think about how I lay things out so that it is easier to get some good shots.
Not sure you need to do it gradually. Our extension has just been built and I put some new feeders up, just 3m away from the window. The first bird (Great Tit) arrived 3 minutes later and within the hour there had been 6 species visit.

Photography Gear - Website

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: