• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hovering over text on BF - can you turn it off? (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

Hi All

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the feature (I use Chrome) whereby when you hover your mouse over a link it displays a whole load of text please?

It is really irritating and I think BF is the only website where this happens to me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Rob

Thank you, I hate it because it gets in the way of other stuff I am trying to read and means I have to concentrate on placing the mouse away from text. I have a feeling (having done a quick search) that it is not possible to turn off.

Never mind and thank you for replying

Rob

If you scroll with your mouse to either side of the page, near the edge, it will not preview the thread. I actually like the preview feature but see where it could be disturbing to some.

We are talking (I just tested it) post previews. If, for example, I hover over this thread in the list of threads, I get a block of text (written by me) appearing which masks other areas of the screen. I find this irritating though it may be that I am in the minority on this! If there is no solution then never mind!

Yep sorry BD, it is a good feature - if more people spent more time to use it, it might stop some of the whingeing about lack of 'locations in title' on the ID threads.....;)

Yep sorry BD, it is a good feature - if more people spent more time to use it, it might stop some of the whingeing about lack of 'locations in title' on the ID threads.....;)
It´s not that the people don´t use it, it´s rather that this feature doesn´t help to recognise a location when it´s not mentioned in the text ;)
Examples:
"Help in identifying bird" by rosscounty
"I don't know what this bird is" by stevej72
"Sea Bird ID Please." by targetman
etc.

Hi All, Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the feature (I use Chrome) whereby when you hover your mouse over a link it displays a whole load of text please? It is really irritating and I think BF is the only website where this happens to me. Thanks in advance.
Regards Rob

Rob, I've just seen your post. I find it speeds up enormously the threads I wish to read or pass over, especially on the ID forum. Indeed, I've asked some other forums if they could introduce it!
MJB

Are you using a really small screen? I ask because I browse this site on a 13" Macbook and I've never found this feature to be irritating. I can see enough of the screen that my mouse is rarely hovering over thread titles. I don't even need to move the mouse over to the edge or anything - in fact I don't do anything at all and I've never even noticed this as a potential problem!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back