Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old Wednesday 25th July 2007, 13:40   #76
Andrew Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed keeble View Post
It does look like a bunch of matadors have been at it, a previously unidentified threat..the Bloody Napeshank.

I should add, just to tie the two little threadettes above together, that I happened to be browsing yesterday evening in an old book of my father's and the frontispiece- a DM Henry painting of a Red-naped Shaheen. So red napes all round- funny old world.
What Book was it Ed, ?
Old Friday 27th July 2007, 00:41   #77
ed keeble

Well here's what I was up to today lunchtime, not originally intended for posting but then I thought well why not stick em up..reason for this little working out session is a promise to self to re-learn (maybe learn for the first time) how a generic wader (chose Buff-breast for ease of photo reference) lores and ear coverts are laid out. Resolve strengthened by looking at some skins last month and being amazed by how few feathers go to make up the pattern..for some reason, prior to this latest Nod-related exercise I had thought they had millions of tiny feathers like those close up pics you see of a Honey Buzzard's wasp-proofing.

Now if anyone fancies printing off pic 1, drawing on their version and posting - that would not be out of order at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BFBR1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	96081  Click image for larger version

Name:	BFBR2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	96082  Click image for larger version

Name:	BFBR3.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	96084  

Last edited by ed keeble : Friday 27th July 2007 at 00:44.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th July 2007, 09:42   #78
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

I like that Ed, I like it a lot. Those three pics are a work of art in their own right, while being instructive at the same time.
Old Friday 27th July 2007, 10:00   #79
dryslwyn

Thats really good stuff to see. As virtually a complete beginner in bird art i do appreciate that it has taken some of you folks years of hard work to get where you are and produce such great work - its like all drawing isn't it - there are no short cuts you've really got to get in there and see whats going on.
Old Friday 27th July 2007, 10:09   #80
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryslwyn View Post
Thats really good stuff to see. As virtually a complete beginner in bird art i do appreciate that it has taken some of you folks years of hard work to get where you are and produce such great work - its like all drawing isn't it - there are no short cuts you've really got to get in there and see whats going on.
That's a well-put description Wendy - get in there and see what's going on - I like!
Very nice studies Ed. As you point out, different species are arranged very differently indeed. What about an Emperor Penguin, maybe?
Old Friday 27th July 2007, 11:57   #81
Mabel
Dance the ghost with me

Very nice, Ed. You got real life in those eyes, there.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th July 2007, 13:24   #82
buzzard12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel View Post
Very nice, Ed. You got real life in those eyes, there.
Superb exercise Ed, I would say you pretty much have it covered as redards accuracy...
Old Sunday 29th July 2007, 23:20   #83
ed keeble

Not a birdy weekend, but I was spared the Harry Potter film on the back of a promise to cook a meal. So I had a couple of hours to nudge the Nod and open a tin of beans. Only the scaps and coverts to go..

Whether there will be Monday lunchtime speedy sketch we shall see- stopped on way back from the station on Friday night to see a Northern Bottlenose Whale beached behind a jetty with 2 Oystercatchers chasing Herring Gull in the foreground- so it was visually interesting alright.

Shocking to hear the BBC lying again- they said the whale was stranded in "sand" when everyone knows there is nothing but mud and slime for a 5 mile radius around Ipswich.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	799draft 18 copy copy.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	96571  

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 30th July 2007, 01:08   #84
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

coming along very nicely indeed, I'd end up chucking a brick at the screen if I was forced to be this patient with a piece of work!
Old Monday 30th July 2007, 09:24   #85
Andrew Ellis

Brilliant Ed, its good to see it nearing completion. Looking forward to the
lunchtime masterpiece. will check in later to have a look.
No pressure !!
Old Monday 30th July 2007, 22:32   #86
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ellis View Post
Brilliant Ed, its good to see it nearing completion. Looking forward to the
lunchtime masterpiece. will check in later to have a look.
No pressure !!
Falls some may short of masterpiece but here we are, pretty much as seen, whale wallowing behind the jetty and birds doing what they do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wha copy.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	552.3 KB
ID:	96820  

Old Monday 30th July 2007, 23:04   #87
nickderry

love the composition, love the action, in short, I love it.
Old Tuesday 31st July 2007, 21:18   #88
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Love the action in that photo, Ed.
Old Wednesday 1st August 2007, 11:05   #89
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectis Birder View Post
Love the action in that photo, Ed.
There's lots not to love in it too (garish, vile colours, flawed perspective, frenzied multi-directional lines etc. etc.)

But well done to the birds for providing the action and making the composition- when the Herring Gull went up I could see what might be coming and was willing it on (possibly even urging it on out loud) to go just high enough so that its wing overlapped the jetty. I think it is my first gull picture in twenty-five years and certainly the first time I have shown any interest in a Herring Gull.

Last edited by ed keeble : Wednesday 1st August 2007 at 11:25.

Old Wednesday 1st August 2007, 16:14   #90
Andrew Ellis

Quote:
Falls some may short of masterpiece but here we are, pretty much as seen, whale wallowing behind the jetty and birds doing what they do.
I love it Ed , its got so much life to it wonderful work.
sorry it took me so long to get onto it.
Old Wednesday 1st August 2007, 16:55   #91
Dave B

Quote:

I think it is my first gull picture in twenty-five years and certainly the first time I have shown any interest in a Herring Gull.
So I've got one of the possibly very few Ed Keeble gull sketches around in the back of a very tatty notebook of mine - done just under 30 years ago! Still remember that grey day at Lowestoft looking for the Franklin's Gull having only the barest idea what we might be looking for!

How many years before another one I wonder (EK gull sketch I mean!).

Dave
Old Wednesday 1st August 2007, 17:21   #92
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
So I've got one of the possibly very few Ed Keeble gull sketches around in the back of a very tatty notebook of mine - done just under 30 years ago! Still remember that grey day at Lowestoft looking for the Franklin's Gull having only the barest idea what we might be looking for!

How many years before another one I wonder (EK gull sketch I mean!).

Dave
Good grief- twenty-five years was a closer estimate than I thought!

Needless to say, I have no notebook but actually quite a disturbingly clear retained image of the bird on the edge of a puddle in parking lot, grey/brown crushed gravel underfoot, white reflection in puddle, grey sky and and light snowfall..hey- I feel a gull picture coming on..

[intermission]

...here we are- 30 years after the event, here's what was then a mega- Uk's 4th Franklin's in the snow at Lowestoft in 1977.

I gave myself a strict 15 mins for this one- 10 mins splooshing coffee and ribena at the desk before running for the train and 5 mins on the computer, so forgive amongst other things the cartooning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	copyfrank copy.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	97141  

Last edited by ed keeble : Wednesday 1st August 2007 at 23:17. Reason: creative impulse

Old Wednesday 1st August 2007, 23:21   #93
ed keeble

2nd gull pic in 30 years added by edit above

Old Thursday 2nd August 2007, 00:42   #94
nickderry

Is it me or is he very happy to be a Franklin's? certainly looks to be the star of the show with the black-headeds. I'm a big fan of this sort of picture, the characterisations of the birds are great.
Old Thursday 2nd August 2007, 11:17   #95
Dave B

Quote:
2nd gull pic in 30 years added by edit above
Steady on now Ed - don't want my carefully preserved sketch to become commonplace.

Here's a photo which captures the very scene, including the weather (scroll down a bit).

dave
Old Thursday 2nd August 2007, 11:36   #96
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Steady on now Ed - don't want my carefully preserved sketch to become commonplace.

Here's a photo which captures the very scene, including the weather (scroll down a bit).

dave
Well found- but the shame of it; you would have hoped that after 30 years I would have remembered how much black that Frank had on its primaries.

The apparent hunched smugness of the Frank as noticed by Nick D and raucous disposition of the B-heads in my offering is probably subconciously based on a photo of Arsenal players mobbing van Nistelroy in 2003 (Keown is played by the gull on the right). Tim Wootton may be able to confirm this if he is about.

Old Thursday 2nd August 2007, 13:06   #97
timwootton

Quote:
Well found- but the shame of it; you would have hoped that after 30 years I would have remembered how much black that Frank had on its primaries.

The apparent hunched smugness of the Frank as noticed by Nick D and raucous disposition of the B-heads in my offering is probably subconciously based on a photo of Arsenal players mobbing van Nistelroy in 2003 (Keown is played by the gull on the right). Tim Wootton may be able to confirm this if he is about.
Correct, Sir and the sh*tty little leftback with a face to rival Mr snarly-pants-Keown (Winterbank?? or something? hilarious it was, when he thought he was going to get a smack - the terror in his eyes - then he saw his big mates and carried on!).
But back to more meaningful things - remarkable how well you retained the image and character of the original event - 70 years ago. Excellent work.
I really do think it's time to start a 'Birding Memoires' - your illustrative style would add hugely to what I'm sure would be an engrossing read. C'mon Ed - stop mucking about at lunchtimes. I always thought you lacked application and direction!!!!!
Old Thursday 2nd August 2007, 23:30   #98
ed keeble

short but boring meeting this lunchtime, but fortunately propelling pencils available- i have no idea what species I have doodled here but maybe a hint of one of those weirdy island rails

I've tried a bit of that pro-style unidirectional shading, but may have a bit to learn there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crakesketch.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	97315  

Old Friday 3rd August 2007, 00:04   #99
timwootton

Nice Rail (don't hear that very often!). This thing about shading - what I do is to squint at the object, assume where the light/dark curve occurs and then draw a quick contour delineating the change. The 'dark' can then be 'shded' any way one wishes. I'll post a quickie . . .
Old Friday 3rd August 2007, 00:30   #100
timwootton

light/dark

very basic shaded object - try to decide the line of change(from dark to light) - this changes incrementally as the light source moves from behind (back-lighting) to front (flood). The starkness of the change is dirctly related to the angle of the light source (almost - but gets a bit complicated). Also - and most critical for colourwork - is the effect reflected light has on the object (may often make undersides of most 'shaded' parts quite bright!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gull.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	97325  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: