Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 26th February 2010, 12:13   #1
David Smith
Warrington Lancs

Ring Flash-anyone tried this type?

Hope this link works (it looks very BIG). Its on fleabay under Ringflash
Basically its a lightweight ring flash with a unit that fits the hotshoe and a ring that fits the lens (adaptors to suit various lenses).
Its only 33.00 so........is it worth a punt or just throwing money away ?
My lense is Sigma 150mm 2.8

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-Ring-Fla...item2eab52d0c7

BF Supporter 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 26th February 2010, 12:56   #2
hollis_f

Hmmm, no indication that it would fit on a 72mm filter thread, so it may not fit your lens. It's not a ring flash as the LEDs are on all the time, so no problem with metering. But I wonder how powerful it is.

Photography Gear - Website

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 26th February 2010, 17:36   #3
David Smith
Warrington Lancs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis_f View Post
Hmmm, no indication that it would fit on a 72mm filter thread, so it may not fit your lens. It's not a ring flash as the LEDs are on all the time, so no problem with metering. But I wonder how powerful it is.
Yes-I noticed it didn't mention the 72mm thread. However there are a number of companies abroad (for abroad read China) offering the same system under various names and they offer an extra adapter i.e the 72mm. As I prefer to buy UK I have sent the UK supplier an email asking about the 72mm but so far no response.

Incidentally Frank-I enjoyed looking through your web site (although looking at your range of gear and places you have visited did me no good at all)
but the intro told me most photos were of UK birds-however everything I could see was 'Africa based'???

Last edited by David Smith : Friday 26th February 2010 at 17:44.

Old Friday 26th February 2010, 18:41   #4
hollis_f

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
Yes-I noticed it didn't mention the 72mm thread. However there are a number of companies abroad (for abroad read China) offering the same system under various names and they offer an extra adapter i.e the 72mm. As I prefer to buy UK I have sent the UK supplier an email asking about the 72mm but so far no response.
Keep us informed. At that price a friend of mine could be very interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
but the intro told me most photos were of UK birds-however everything I could see was 'Africa based'???
Whoops! I'd forgotten I'd written that. The plan was to get all the UK stuff done first, but the plan was changed and I'm just about getting to the stage where the African stuff is finished. Looks like I need to do some editing. Thanks.

Photography Gear - Website

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 26th February 2010, 19:45   #5
tjsimonsen

You don't mention what you want to use it for.

While having the lights on all the time won't be a problem for plants, and probably not much of a problem for non-flying insects (if you are quick), it will likely be a big problem for more nervous critters such as butterflies, dragonflies and reptiles since they are very sensitive to changes in light and shadows.

Thomas
Old Sunday 28th February 2010, 11:02   #6
David Smith
Warrington Lancs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsimonsen View Post
You don't mention what you want to use it for.
While having the lights on all the time won't be a problem for plants, and probably not much of a problem for non-flying insects (if you are quick), it will likely be a big problem for more nervous critters such as butterflies, dragonflies and reptiles since they are very sensitive to changes in light and shadows.
Thomas
Excellent point-I "thought" the continuous lights was optional but since you pointed that out I checked more carefully (as quote below)
As it is operated via the hotshoe I assumed it would work as a flash unit would.
I wanted it 99% for insects and butterflies.

Continuous lighting : This lighting unit provide a continuous lighting (not flashing), the continuous lighting allows you handle exposure easily

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: