• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hullo! (1 Viewer)

sdoig

Alright? My names Steven, I'm 32 and I've been birding seriously since 2005.
I live in Forfar, so I 'served my time' at Farfir Loch, and still go there once a month.

Wednesday is my day off and I get all grouchy if i CAN'T GO OUT. I usually stick to Angus, places like Kinnordy, the Basin, Lintrathen, Arbroath cliffs, Backwater, and summer trips up Glen Esk.

Once or twice a year I try and go somewhere a bit further afield - for example in November I travelled down to Dumfries, to three differnet reserves, which was great, but knackering, coz did it and returned home in the one day!

Roughly every second year I go to Orkney, just because its great!

Until recently, me and the wife used to go on 'wildlife' holidays (Kenya, India, Galapagos etc), so I've seen some pretty cool stuff!!

My Scottish list is rubbish though, I finally got my 200th species a few weeks back, but its been good fun!

A lot of my birding is done with my faither (he's off Wednesdays too).

I'm quite proud of the fact that I helped to get one of my pals into birding (Hes around here somewhere!!)

My wife's having our first bairn in six weeks, so my birding habits will change dramatically!! We've pretty much agreed that Forfar Loch will become my regular haunt once again (which is fine, coz I like it a lot!)

I work in R Doig & Sons in Montrose, so anybody whos vaguely local passes my way, feel free to drop in a for a blether!!

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello ;)

Hi Steven and a warm welcome from me too

Keep an eye on the Scottish bashes 2011 thread. We usually have a few each year and they are all great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us if you can manage.

All things Scottish can be found HERE, where you'll find a thread for Kinnordy and another for Tayforth Birding.

I may have see you at Kinnordy, though it's mostly Tuesdays or weekends that I go there.

D

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Hello Mr Doig, glad you found me here!

Steven did indeed get me into birding about 18 months ago. I really enjoy our infrequent trips out together.

I think you will really enjoy this place. It's like Gallifrey Base for birds;)

wellcome steven,i have probably met your father on my rounds,i remember him asking about good places to see cuckoos,i walk between arbroath and auchmithie a lot but had to stop because of the corrosion problem,2 weeks ago i walked from auchmithie back towards arbroath and had to stop imediatly after seaton den,if you get any info when the walk is open again it would be very apreciated,forfar loch is awesome ,i had a lifer here (red necked grebe)but dipped on male smew/black throated diver/scaup last year,i cant think of any other area of water near a town that hosts so many birds as forfar loch

wellcome steven,i have probably met your father on my rounds,i remember him asking about good places to see cuckoos,i walk between arbroath and auchmithie a lot but had to stop because of the corrosion problem,2 weeks ago i walked from auchmithie back towards arbroath and had to stop imediatly after seaton den,if you get any info when the walk is open again it would be very apreciated,forfar loch is awesome ,i had a lifer here (red necked grebe)but dipped on male smew/black throated diver/scaup last year,i cant think of any other area of water near a town that hosts so many birds as forfar loch

And I dipped on the Great Reed Warbler there a few years ago! Did get it eventually at Kinnordy though!

I don't get there as often as I should though - not quite sure why.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back