• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit identification from India.. (1 Viewer)

Biju.P.B

Dear all, I was fortunate to be part of a Bird Survey team which conducted survey at Shendurney WLS in Kerala (South India) from 18th to 20th of Feb 2011. On the river bed, I was able to get pictures of a pipit.. I'm very confused about its identity.. I'd be very thankful if anyone can throw light on it...
regards, Biju

Attachments

• DSC_2956.jpg
    DSC_2956.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_2959.jpg
    DSC_2959.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_2961.jpg
    DSC_2961.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_2984.jpg
    DSC_2984.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 88
hi .. thanx a lot .. We had this doubt.. The tawny pipits were never reported this far south.. So, this is a record short.. :).. But, the streaks confuse me a lot..

I see what you mean. Juvenile / first winter Tawny Pipits have these streaks, however they are quite pronounced in this bird. I still see no other possibility but perhaps some other pipit expert will give his / her thoughts as well.

I have seen Tawny Pipits near Chennai and north of Pondicherry. So at least in the more arid east of Southern India they do get quite far south.

André

I agree, Tawny Pipit's streaks on a juv. don't really look like this and the fact that the photo was taken in Feb rules out this possibility, anyway the cream edged greater coverts would be white edged. The dark lores, may be a product of angles or photo vagaries it looks pretty good for Richard's Pipit, albeit a little slim looking. The rather plain mantle throws me into confusion however. I'm not familiar with the races of Richard's in India so I don't really no of any other possibilities.

the hind claws don't really look like the Richards' ... Are they? And the dark lores... I can assure you that they are real.. I've got about 35 shots of the same bird and every picture does have it.. I'll show you another picture..

Attachments

• DSC_2953.jpg
    DSC_2953.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 46
Hi Biju, I see what you mean and actually on general jizz this bird does look more like Tawny and like you say the hindclaw doesn't look long enough. The legs also look too pale for Richard's really, too. Its a confusing bird! I suppose it may be an adult Tawny with exceptional breast streaking...sorry for my dithering, I should have though more about it before helping. I do know the 2 species very well.

hi Simon... On the contrary, this is one of the most entertaining discussions I'm fortunate to be part of.. :)..Thanx a lot for your patience.. I'm posting the picture of another bird which was found nearby this bird.. but, I'm afraid, I dont have any more picture of this same bird.. please do have a look at it..

Attachments

• DSC_2984.jpg
    DSC_2984.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 67
My initial gut reaction on first glimpse of these was actually Tawny. However our returning birds here in southern Iberia (just about to arrive) never show breast streaking (apart from the tiniest amount on the upper breast sides). I never see juvs/1st winter birds later than early November. I wondered if any races of Richards/Blyth's could look like this bird. I suppose we are dealing with Tawny though unless I am missing something that occurs in India.

One more thing.. I think I heard sounds like 'chilchil chilchil - chil' while it flew overhead.... Almost always it was this 5 syllabic sound..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back