• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Before I commit (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Arghhh!!! My fear of commitment is showing even with my camera. :'D I'm ready to attach the extend a view to my nikon and was wondering which option the majority of you went for. The velcro attachment seems the easiest but was wondering if any of you preferred another of the suggested attachments before I commit to the velcro.

I'm a velcro man all the way, K.C. You only need to apply a single strip along the top of the Extend-a-view (and above camera monitor), rather than all around.
The velcro adhesive can be removed at a later date, it's not as permanent as they warn.
Andy

If its for a coolpix4500 I attempted the velcro. But I didnt want massive bits of velcro on my camera, so tried for thin strips and it was too weak to hold, so i went for the rubber thing, which when im handholding the camera isnt working to well at the moment :)
Im sure when my adaptor comes though the rubber will be fine.
Regards
Pete.

Okay, terrific. I think I can commit to a single strand of velcro. I like the idea of just the one strip cause I was worried about not being able to properly get to the buttons on the bottom of the monitor. Thanks Andy

Pete, I have the 990 and thought about the rubber thing, but as I am only using the nikon for my attempts at digiscoping I felt I wanted something a little more permanent.

If you do use a single strip of velcro, K.C. Remove the Extend-a-view before moving off with your camera attached to the scope, it can fall off easily if you brush against something.
Andy

Ah yeah! I figured that out right quick as it went bouncing across the bedroom floor. :) It certainly does give a twinkly appearance to what you see on the monitor. Hopefully, I will see some sun soon and can try it out properly. 9 inches of rain since Saturday.

KC

I have the 990 and I have attached velcro on 3 sides. It is firm and stays on well. It has another use as well as being a sunshade as it acts just like your camera viewfinder and that allows you to keep in touch with a moving bird much better than if you were just using the monitor.

Like John, I have three narrow strips attached, leaving the bottom edge open. Each strip is cut to 1mm wider than the bottom edge of the viewer.

I have used the extendaview for a couple of years on an Olympus C2000. I do find that with time and especially in warmer weather the adhesive does become unstuck and the velcro needs replacement.

can anyone post a picture of their velcro layout on the camera?
I cant see where i could get a thick enough piece of velcro
at the top edge of the screen... :(
thanks
also is it the thick edge of the extend a view to the top of the monitor screen or the thin edge?
thanks
Pete.

Hi all,

Does anyone tried the Nikon LCD Shade?
I've seen it announced but couldn't find out how it is attached?
There's so much more material for the UK digiscopers & US to try out, here's almost nothing to find.

I can tell you that I have the eye piece laying on the camera with the rimless part at the bottom. I think I will look for a sturdy piece of velcro as I am not impressed with the staying power of the velcro that came with the extend a view and like Ian suggested I am sure my hot, extremely humid summer will have its affect on the velcro.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back