• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds is Sofia (Bulgaria) (1 Viewer)

maist

Dear Friends, I'm Going To Visit Sofia (bulgaria), Does Somebody Know Places Where Can I Watch Birds There?

Hi Maist! I've moved your thread to the Bulgaria section of the Forum where you are likely to get more suggestions ;)

Hi Maist!

How long will you be in Sofia? If just for a short time I would suggest heading to Mount Vitosha which is very close. If you have longer the Rila and Pirin mountain ranges could be very productive. Do you have any particular birds as targets? There are also several marshland areas not too far from Sofia.

Chris

Birds in Bulgaria

Great!

I saw map and Vitasha mount is national park inside of Sofia's municipality
I will not be there a lot of time but hope will have enough time to visit it.
Perhaps will be lucky to see migrating birds
Thank you! Alex

Great!

I saw map and Vitasha mount is national park inside of Sofia's municipality
I will not be there a lot of time but hope will have enough time to visit it.
Perhaps will be lucky to see migrating birds
Thank you! Alex

Maybe Alex, but even without migrants there are still some good birds to see! When are you visiting?

Chris

right, Chris, perhaps there are some authentic species here.
i'm planing to visit Sofia in the beginning of October, it's time for migrating bird
thank you for yous assistance!

Hi Alex

I was there the same time last year! Nutcracker, Crossbill, Willow and Coal Tit, Dunnock and Raven should be straightforward, and plenty of other species possible. Do bear in mind due to it's proximity to Sofia it can get very crowded at the weekend, especially if the weather is good!

Enjoy!

Chris

thank you, Chris!
Nutcracker is very interesting for me - there are a lot Eurasian jays in Israel but i didn't see and make pictures of Nutcracker.
Crossbill too, i was sure they habitat only in Northern Europe, I didn't see in Eastern Europe too. Of course, Willow ptarmigan because I made photo Alectoris only from representatives of this family.
hope for best. you right: it depends from weather, number of people and luck

Alex

I think you should have no problems with Nutcracker or Crossbill, they were both abundant even in busy areas! The Willow I was thinking of was Willow Tit (although we did see Hazel Grouse in the not too distant Rila Mountains)! Enjoy your visit and if I can be of any further assistance just let me know!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back