• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seabirds: A Complete Guide to the Seabirds of the World (Helm) (1 Viewer)

Still a good book but don't pay that price for it. Many fine secondhand copies available...including several in my cabinets ;)

Are the plates and text on facing pages, or are all the plates in one section of the book?

This book looks good too http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gulls-Europ...TF8&coliid=I3RZ4DMRNE3RCU&colid=3UGGD88IQDIDW

Have you seen it?

Harrison: The plates face a brief description and about 60% of the book is taken up with the usual main description, habitiat, range, etc.

If you buy the gulls book make sure it is the updated copy. The first edition was full of faults and had to go to a full reprint.

"Albatross, Petrels and Shearwaters of the World" by Onley and Scofield is probably the most up to date guide available, at least for these families. I like it a lot. I can't recall the price but I think it was reasonable.

guide to seabirds of the world

I have this book it's for coffe time reading realy or when there is nothing on tv
and to large to carry around with you .
If you are interested in seabirds of Euorpe and fancy doing a bit of seawatching Flight Identification of European seabirds is a very good
book, i paid £35 but im sure it can be bought quite a bit cheaper now.

'Seabirds of the World', and 'Albatrosses, Petrels, and Shearwaters' are both good guides, very thorough, [especially the latter, being so recently updated], but to me they are both flawed in that the plates are too dark in one, and too light in the other; I'm reminded of the old Collins guide to the birds of europe and north africa. The Collins 'Bird Guide' [Mullarney & Svennson] has set the bar much higher, and unless a book can at least get close to that level of depiction, I wouldn't pay more than a tenner for it.
Ok, rant over! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back