• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Martins (1 Viewer)

Odonate

There was a massive movement of House Martins through bits of south Devon yesterday. For little more than personal curiosity I wanted to do a bit of analysis on the House Martin passage to see where they came from and where they were going. I would be interested in any HM sightings from yesterday (or the few previous days or today). I can get some of the numbers for the SW from websites but would be interested in any sightings from anywhere from yesterday or the previous few days. More details of what I am looking for are on my blog and you can leave sightings there as comments or here.

Cheers, Rich

House Martins have been arriving at breeding colonies in southern Portugal through January - some even at the beginning of the month. No swifts yet, as far as I know - but imminent!

Iv seen them in small numbers around my area during the winter, small passage of mixed hirundines mostly Barn, House and Crag Martins been on since January and increasing to bigger numbers lately.

Cuckoo

Well I suppose if we take this BTO ringed and tracked cuckoo into consideration http://www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking/england/lyster it took just under 1 month for it to reach Africa on the 2nd August after leaving British Isle shores approx on the 11th July.

I suspect that, taking into account hirundines spends much more time in the air, and the fact that they can feed as they go, they could prob do the journey quicker, in about 2 weeks I guess, maybe even less.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back