• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some seabirds ID, please? (1 Viewer)

EdvardH

Hi!

Photos taken west coast Norway, (maybe 100-200 meters from land in dim lighting - so sorry for poor and noisy photos)

(1 - december): Is this a juvenile (left) and male (right) common eider? But does the bill and head shape match up - not so "wedge-lik" as they should be??

(2 - december): The strong white eyebrow confuses me.

(3 - december): ???

(4 - july): which loon?

(5 - july): which duck?

Thank you!

Attachments

• norheimdec-5.jpg
    norheimdec-5.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 167
  • norheimdec-3.jpg
    norheimdec-3.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 176
  • norheimdec-2.jpg
    norheimdec-2.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 201
  • bird-56.jpg
    bird-56.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 176
  • bird-16.jpg
    bird-16.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 168
Thanks!

Anyone else have a clue about #3? Little grebe would be rare. It has been in the area earlier winters, but I've never actually seen it before. So that would be interesting. Must go there more and try to look for it to come closer to land!

Why is the loon Red-throated? Just personally curious, if I had to guess I would have said it looks more along the lines of Black-throated/Arctic. What features make it red-throated from this view?

Why is the loon Red-throated? Just personally curious, if I had to guess I would have said it looks more along the lines of Black-throated/Arctic. What features make it red-throated from this view?

I would expect a longer neck and a bit stronger feet, and the white on the rear flanks to extend further towards the sides of the rump.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back