• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coucal Pheasant. (1 Viewer)

McCaw

Antarctica
I posted this elsewhere but it seems to have vanished.

Anyway, no big deal, just wanted to say I think I saw a Coucal Pheasant strolling across my lawn a couple of days ago. I'm no expert, and I'm not even a bird-watcher per se. I do notice them, though, and this one got my attention because I first thought it was a large hawk. It had multi-striped/dappled feathers in shades of brown and cream, and a dark head.

The thing that intrigued me, though, was that it appeared at one end of the yard, and walked across to the other side. No hop, skips, or jumps, no ruffling of wings; just a steady, determined walk right across the space. I don't know where it ended up, but I presume it flew up to the fence and left.

Is it unusual to see one of these birds in Brisbane, Australia? And do they normally stroll around the place? Or was this one sick or something?

Hi McCaw

Some Pheasant Coucals move to Queensland for breeding, and apparently they are just arriving in your area. You can read more about them them in The Opus article here.

If you scroll to the bottom of the article you will find a link to more pictures in the Gallery. Mzungu posted some recently, he lives in Brisbane.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back