• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plant ID - Nettle? (1 Viewer)

ellroy

Hi,

As a soon to graduate Zoologist my botanical knowledge is decidedly limited which is somthing I'm hoping to rectify over the coming months by exploring my jungle/back garden and surrounding woods. In the meantime I would be grateful if anybody could ID this nettle-type plant which is very common here.
plantID.jpg

I am keen to encourage native plant species in my back garden, particularly if they encourage wildlife, I guess that may include what some people call weeds but I reckon everything has its place!

I would also appreciate recommendations for a good field guide for plants and trees in the UK.

Thanks for looking,

Alan

Hi Alan,
The plant in question is 'jack by the hedge' or garlic mustard, common along base of hedges. When I get to my book I will look up its corresct name for you.
Keeble Martin was always the book to have at home. There are more 'portable' books. Will look what I have...

I use Frances Rose's Wildflower Key. Although the keys are often confusing (and combine flower & seed characters far too often) the illustrations are spot on.

I am keen to encourage native plant species in my back garden, particularly if they encourage wildlife, I guess that may include what some people call weeds but I reckon everything has its place!

The best way of getting rid of weeds in your garden? Change your perspective :)

How funny, I saw this in my parents hedge tonight and asked my dad to crush the flowers in fingers and smell them (knowing what it is). Sorry, can't smell anything as I have just been crushing some garlic and my fingers stink of it.

Doh!

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back