• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping by Canon 1D MarkIV and SWARO stx95 (1 Viewer)

karol-L

Digiscoping with Canon 1D MarkIV and SWARO stx95

Maybe it's not a usual"digiscoping",because 1D MARK IV is a SLR camara.
But it also fits the scope because of the TLS APO.It's fast ,sharp,and solid.
I 'll share some photos.

Attachments

• 伯劳_副本.jpg
    伯劳_副本.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 319
  • 苍鹭1_副本.jpg
    苍鹭1_副本.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 265
  • 杜鹃6_副本.jpg
    杜鹃6_副本.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 280
  • 池鹭_副本.jpg
    池鹭_副本.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 水雉.jpg
    水雉.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Excellent results! How do you balance the weight of the camera on the scope? I would like to try it with my ATS80HD but am concerned about causing damage to the lens mount or scope eyepiece.

Mike

Excellent results! How do you balance the weight of the camera on the scope? I would like to try it with my ATS80HD but am concerned about causing damage to the lens mount or scope eyepiece.

Mike

Thanks!I 'll balance it by a long board such like the following image.

Attachments

• 操控STX95.jpg
    操控STX95.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 346
Thanks!I 'll balance it by a long board such like the following image.

Could you please explain in more detail about the long plate (board) and the adaptor below the camera. Are they attached to each other and what purpose does the knurled wheel below the camera serve? Can they be bought from a retailer? If so, could you please let me know their model numbers.

Many thanks,

Mike

Could you please explain in more detail about the long plate (board) and the adaptor below the camera. Are they attached to each other and what purpose does the knurled wheel below the camera serve? Can they be bought from a retailer? If so, could you please let me know their model numbers.

Many thanks,

Mike

Hello Mike,
I 'm in Shanghai,China.And I don't konw if the plate can be find in Nottingham, England.This brand of the plate is call "BENRO".And I suggest you that Kowa's DA3 or DA3 st can also be used.
The long plate is used to balance the camara and the scope becuase the 1D mark IV is a heavy camara.If I use nikon D800 or the miroless system,I won't use the plate.
The adaptor below the camara is to make the camara's reflector panel vibration minimized. And If I use a super telephoto lens such as 500MM F4,I'll aslo use that.
I'll show you some images.
By using the plate ,I can esilly handing the nikon 500MM F4 lens and photograph.

Attachments

• DSC02324.jpg
    DSC02324.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0183.jpg
    DSC_0183.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Many thanks,

Mike

Mike,
B and H carry the Kowa support bracket
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._DA3_TSN_DA3_Digiscoping_Support_Bracket.html
and the Benro range so that would be a good place to start.
Neil.

Excellent result. Tell me with your ID MarKIV, does it have any vignetting when using the TLS APO?

Hi,horukuru, It work's perfectly with the TLS APO.If you set a right ISO and exposure number,It will always give you good image.
And the Sirui tripod is the highest end model of this brand.But it's also not expensive. It's also good in use,Like other more expensive one,such as Kowa da3.

One more, is your Sirui tripod the high end model? If yes, what do you think of it? I tested briefly last time but not on Digiscoping...

And I mentioned that you have used the nikon EDG85 VR,and I 've read your blog at past. You did a good job by using D300s and the EDG85.

I 'd like to konw how about the EDG85 and the SWARO STX95?

Which is better? I guess the STX95 is more brighter,sharper,but the EDG85 has more eyepieces to choose. And the EDG85 has a huge 30X eyepieces,it will provide us a 72 degree wider A FOV than the STX95's in 30X.

And I mentioned that you have used the nikon EDG85 VR,and I 've read your blog at past. You did a good job by using D300s and the EDG85.

I 'd like to konw how about the EDG85 and the SWARO STX95?

Which is better? I guess the STX95 is more brighter,sharper,but the EDG85 has more eyepieces to choose. And the EDG85 has a huge 30X eyepieces,it will provide us a 72 degree wider A FOV than the STX95's in 30X.

My sample of EDG85 is not sharp at maximum zoom with 20-60x eyepiece unfortunately. But fast focus is one of the advantage of EDG, therefore in flight shot is possible too.

What I like to see if Nikon will come out similar TLS APO type adapter for their Fieldscope in the future because the one from Swarovski is an excellent piece of engineering!

What I like with STX 95 + TLS APO, the ability to get up to 70x which is sharp and the FOV still wider and eye placement is easy too. Both scope has natural colour rendition plus contrast is top notch.

For me, I will use the EDG85 + FSA-L2 with DSLR if I need range from 500mm - 1750mm and STX 95 + TLS APO from 1500mm - 4000mm. It depends on locations and type of shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back