• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Spotter XL - Any Good? (1 Viewer)

Atomic Chicken

Registered with the D.O.E.
Greetings!

I picked up a Nikon Spotter XL scope (The original 16-47X60, not the XL II 16-48X60) at a pawn shop today, I paid a little over $100 for it and it is in EXCELLENT condition. I figured that since these are selling all over the net around $400, that I couldn't go wrong with this purchase - even if I don't like it and end up reselling it, I can probably double my money by reselling on Ebay or elsewhere.

My question is this: Since I have been completely unable to find a review of this scope ANYWHERE on the net, even the new Spotter XL II model, are there any owners this scope (or even the XL II) on this forum? If so, what do you think of this scope? So far, it seems to me to be very bright and clear - but I don't have much to reference it to. Should I keep or resell this scope? Why?

Thanks in advance,
Bawko

I have been told that almost all the similar looking scopes (B&L elite 60mm and the Weaver 15-40) are coming out of the same factory. Anyway I think you did real well. If you decide to sell let me know. These are good scopes for the money, tough as nails I hear.
Dave

A Spotter for $100 in good condition is a good deal. I hope it wasn't stolen.

I had a Spotter which I bought for bird trips involving air travel. Although not equal to my (at the time) Swaro ST80, I was seduced by its size and weight. It also came in handy when I needed a second scope like leading shorebird field trips or at Bald Eagle watching events.

It was OK for the price (around $400), but was noticeably darker and less clear than the Swaro. It seemed to be lacking in eye relief, which hadn't bothered me until I had to switch from contacts to eyeglasses.

I never used it much so finally sold it for around $300.

One thing about it that did irritate me was that the tethered Oboective cover became very loose very shortly after I got it. I was tempted to cut it off, but could never find a 3rd party cap to fit it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back