• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2010 UK Orchid season updates (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Dear all,

Thought I'd open a thread which can allow people to post updates as they travel around searching for Orchids, so other members can see when they are in flower, what numbers they are in, anything else of interest to BF Orchidophiles.

May I offer a word of caution over sites: please when posting updates could you be general about the sites, in accordance with the sensitivity or rarity of the species.

Species with which we should be extra careful, and only use counties, are:

Lady's slipper
Red helleborine
Military, Monkey orchid
Fen orchid
Ghost orchid (I wish)
Irish lady's tresses
Dense flowered orchid
Lizard orchid
Tongue orchid
Late spider orchid.

Other less rare species perhaps we could use "south cumbria" or other generic description.

Orchids are still being dug up, regardless of rarity or beauty, and we certainly don't want that to be as a result of careless posts on an open forum.

My update for now:

Late spider orchid: Wye, Kent: quite small numbers at the best site, all small plants at present, and two weeks off flowering at least

Lady's slipper: at Silverdale, four flowers will bloom; not sure if it is open yet.
There will be an open day at Gait Barrows NNR on June 5th and 6th, but plants are already in flower there and have been for at least a week.

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ou...s/nnr/events/northwest/2010-06-0506-gait.aspx

Fly x Bee hybrid: at the one known site in Somerset, 11 plants just having come into flower. If you know this site and visit it, TREAD CAREFULLY and look where you are walking. Two plants have been trodden on already. If you know the site already and want an up to date grid reference, PM me. Otherwise I do not give out details on this site.

All updates welcome!

Sean

Last edited:
Saw our first man orchid (introduced) at a Warks. WT site on Tuesday. They were just starting to open, but enough to recognise where the name comes from! Fabulous!

Hi All

Anyone know if Burnt-tip Orchid is in flower in Sussex? Or even if there are any this year.

I would appreciate any info. (not sites)

Many thanks

John

Saw our first man orchid (introduced) at a Warks. WT site on Tuesday. They were just starting to open, but enough to recognise where the name comes from! Fabulous!
If any of you visit the Warks Man orchid site of which I manage for the species, if possible please take a hammer with you. If you remove the cages to photograph the mans please hammer back in the canes of the cage afterwards as well as the metal pegs at the base of the cages. This is to stop the rabbits eating the plants or any developing seedheads we get here.
I lost a few plants one year due to someone not putting the cages back on properly or back in the exact right place.
P.S I still think this species is native to Warks as I have seen this species in similar quarry habitats many times in a number of sites in the UK.
There is no sign of introduction evidence at the site such as other plant species that are not native to this Wark locality.
Many thanks.

Brian Laney Northamptonshire.

The Lady’s Slipper at Silverdale is in full flower (4 this year) and the reintroductions at Gait Barrows are also at their peak, the attached photos show the Silverdale plant & one of the Gait Barrows plants taken last Wednesday.

John

Attachments

• silverdale.jpg
    silverdale.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 250
  • gait.jpg
    gait.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 246
Lizard Orchid flowering numbers at Bristol

Dear All,
If any of you drop in onto the Lizard Orchid at Bristol later this year I would be happy to hear the number of flowering spikes there as been asked recently to monitor population for an updated management plan. I think flowering numbers will be low there again this year.
Talking to the conservation officer she told me that as many as 15 rosettes were dug up at the site a few years after this population was discovered.
The trouble is we cannot watch over these sites 24 hours but I wish there was a way at times we could.

Brian Laney.

Hi All

Sword-leaved Helleborine, Fly Orchid and Birds nest Orchid in flower and White Helleborine in tight bud at a site in Hampshire last Sunday.

Clare

Lizard Orchid still in bud at Somerset site today (give them another week I reckon). Glanville Fritillaries, however, showing very well at Sand Point (this site isn't sensitive is it?) and a tick for me, as was Cheddar Pink at the same site.
Last Saturday Burnt Orchid was in flower at Martin Down. Only six in one small area though.

id needed on this orchid, taken in the highlands of scotland, in a mainly ash woodland. thanks in advance of replies

Attachments

• orchid.jpg
    orchid.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 258
On Sunday, in the Chilterns (to repeat some of above)

1. Oxon Monkey site: Monkeys on full flower mostly, but many have started to go over already. Numbers up again, but flowering numbers not big. Most plants are fenced off to protect them; please do not go inside th etape to photograph them.
Lady x Monkey - about 50-60 plants in flower. Magnificent. They are spreading, but not towards the main Monkey colony, so presently do not present a threat of watering down the population.
Three Lady there, about over. White helleborine in bud still in the wood.

1. Bucks main Military site: Most of the Militaries in full flower but looking a little grubby because the weather is too dry for them. Most are in the first field; the ones in the third paddock are in small numbers and generally not as good.
At the same site, about 5-6 Bird's nest, in mostly excelletn condition.
Greater butterfly orchids there hardly flowering, with only one tiny plant which was in bud.
Good numbers of Fly orchids there, in perfect flower. However, the dry weather is affecting them and they aren't very large and are fading very quickly.
White helleborines there also in bud.
3. Marlow, the classic Ghost site: Normally there are several Bird's nest here, but checked all the spots and not a single one has appeared this year.
4. Bucks, private Military site: Increased flowering numbers, and some nice plants, but they are earlier here so many are virtually over and the dry weather has affected the good ones anyway.
Common spotteds coming out in good numbers here, a very small number of Fly orchids in flower, but small ones, and Greater butterfly has not flowered here again because of the dry weather.
5. Also visited a friend who has White helleborine in his garden, and in contrast to other sites visited today, numbers are the best ever - well over 100, with a few in full open flower. For obvious reasons I will not say where this is.

Unfortunately left my camera at his house so no photos to post here yet!!

At Sandscale Haws there are 40 Coral root orchids in flower at the moment.

At a private Hampshire site, the yellow-edged Fly orchids were in full flower last Tuesday, May 25th. They often get Muntjac'ed, so will probably be well gone by now.
In Derbyshire, Burnt orchids in perfect flower and numbers reasonable, but in lower numbers than last year.

Cheers

Sean

To anyone planning an Orchid visit to the Narborough (norfolk) site.
I had a thorough search today, none in flower yet. Looks like a visit in a couple of weeks time will be just about right.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back