• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Hi Des - were they still present when you left?

Good movement of Whoopers at the moment, including several Midlands counties eg Notts, Staffs. The nearest flock of 4 I could find were at Burton Mere, Cheshire last Tuesday but obviously they could have come from a larger herd that has split up.

Phil

Not sure Phil because I went to the Flashes late afternoon. I think that John has a theory as to where the Whoopers may have flown from.

Des.

Phil. John Sirrett has passed on details to me of a ringed 1W Herring Gull which John and John Ridley saw at the Moors on the 5/10/11. The bird had been rung in Bath on the 24/6/11. I will forward full details to you for inclusion in the 2011 report.

Des.

Today's highlight's:

MOORS:
Ten minutes before the 4 Whooper Swans dropped into the Moors from behind the east hide (c12.10), I had texted JTB to say that "things are quiet.......so far".

Shoveler (16)------------Teal (37)
Kingfisher--------------- G C Grebe(6)
Little Grebe (2)----------Herring Gull (4)
Siskin (7)----------------Greylag Goose (11)

FLASHES:

Meadow Pipit (30+)-----Curlew (19)
Skylark (3)---------------Yellowhammer

ED RES/SAILING POOL:

Redpoll (18)-------------Grey Wagtail

Des.

That's a good image of the Whoopers Des.

Alright Guys,

As John has said I had 4 Whoopers over my Uni lakes yesterday morning (first site record) and with a distance of around 120 miles to cover as the swan flys then an average speed of around 30mph seems to fit in just nicely to a migrating Whooper!

Would be ace to think that they were the same birds but maybe just being a bit optimistic! If I get anything good fly south I'll let you guys know ;)

Alright Guys,

As John has said I had 4 Whoopers over my Uni lakes yesterday morning (first site record) and with a distance of around 120 miles to cover as the swan flys then an average speed of around 30mph seems to fit in just nicely to a migrating Whooper!

Would be ace to think that they were the same birds but maybe just being a bit optimistic! If I get anything good fly south I'll let you guys know ;)

Hi Tim
Send em our way mate, a nice sibe next time you are at spurn would be nice. Mind you if we ever got one, it would be presumed to be a cage job (read the Siberian rubythroat thread)http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=214079&page=4. Mind you I would have given ferg £10 if he would have brought that Barred warbler over to the Flashes last Sunday8-P

I've been keeping an eye on the Slimbridge Bewick Swan diary, and it looks like some have arrived at Welney,and are expected at Slimbridge anytime soon... looks it it has been a long time since a sighting at UW, would'nt that be fantastic this weekend...

Can anyone remember if the last sighting was an actual drop in or a flyover ?

Sorry, m' book's at 'owme!

and it's been even longer since wolves last won:-C

But that reminds me, Phil, I am still good for that CD, but probably will only make it over for a couple of hours this weekend, tomorrow early doors, but if you are about..... :t:

and it's been even longer since wolves last won:-C

But that reminds me, Phil, I am still good for that CD, but probably will only make it over for a couple of hours this weekend, tomorrow early doors, but if you are about..... :t:

Mark
Not sure when last one was but there wasn't any in 2010, which wouldn't be quite as long as the wolves last win8-P

I've been keeping an eye on the Slimbridge Bewick Swan diary, and it looks like some have arrived at Welney,and are expected at Slimbridge anytime soon... looks it it has been a long time since a sighting at UW, would'nt that be fantastic this weekend...

Can anyone remember if the last sighting was an actual drop in or a flyover ?

Hi Mark,

The last record was on December 9th 2002 (which I think was on the deck at the Flashes), so another is well overdue!

Brian

Thank you Brian

( John.. and the last sighting of bluenoses in Europe before this autumn was ..? :-O )
1955 I think the year I was born8-P

Anyway less of the footie (even though we are the first English club ever to beat Brugge on their own ground):smoke:

Now tomorrow's VIS MIG, early start at the bench back of the Flashes hide. After first checking out the mudflats :eek!: or should I say dust bowl:-C
we cannot let the shetlands and scillies take over, come on lets find summet:-O

1955 I think the year I was born8-P

Anyway less of the footie (even though we are the first English club ever to beat Brugge on their own ground):smoke:

Now tomorrow's VIS MIG, early start at the bench back of the Flashes hide. After first checking out the mudflats :eek!: or should I say dust bowl:-C
we cannot let the shetlands and scillies take over, come on lets find summet:-O

Flashes it is then :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back