• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Luxor Egypt, tiny LBJ? (1 Viewer)

lynwill53

Hi. Just had a great hol in Luxor, where I saw lots of birds and will do a report on when I have an ID for this cute little bird (sorry no photo)
Seen frequently in hotel gardens, keeping mainly to bushes but ground feeder when it did show itself, this bird is the shape of a Long-tailed Tit, the colour of a warbler (light brown upper, paler under, no noticeable streaks/stripes), and overall size and manner of a Wren. Small slim beak. I did not discern any call from it.
It acted in very Wren-like ways, creeping about in the bushes, and often cocked its ridiculously long tail up in the way an agitated Wren does.
Any ideas folks?

Graceful Prinia is it called now? Used to be Graceful Warbler I think. Sounds like a possibility.... although it's a long time since I was in Israel.... I think the other candidate would be Scrub Warbler...

Jon

Thank you Jon, that's definitely the one, now I've checked out some photos.

Cute little thing with a lovely exotic-sounding name to add to my list!

Thanks again for ID

guess it is the pirina, the way you are describing the tail movement, also the loud metallic twittering is another indication.

this is a link to one of the best shots for this very very very hard to photograph bird.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/270810/limit/views

this is for i juvenile i guess, here is one taken by me, not so good but it shows a bit of a red on the eye for the adults.

Attachments

• gp2.jpg
    gp2.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back