• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egypt, Nile Valley Raptors - No. 4 (1 Viewer)

Mr Patience

Just got back from cruise on the Nile. Lovely place. I need help with some of the more distant sightings, please.

I can be more specific about the location if needed, but all sightings were between Luxor and Abu Simbel.

I've got quite a few birds so I'll do them in lots. Many thanks.

My thoughts are:
1 Long-legged buzzard (per a local bird expert who saw the photo only)
2 Marsh harrier
3 Black kite

Attachments

• IMG_2043 crop.jpg
    IMG_2043 crop.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4160 crop.jpg
    IMG_4160 crop.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4626 crop.jpg
    IMG_4626 crop.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 135
Hi,
I would tend to agree with all 3 of your suggestions, but note I am not familiar with long legged buzzard so may be wrong on that one.
regards,
Jono

The first one is an adult Common Buzzard (probably vulpinus or intergrade). For example the tail pattern excludes a Honey Buzzard in any plumage (and the species doesn't occur in Egypt in winter). A dark Long-legged Buzzard would show darker carpal patches and more uniformly coloured underwing coverts.

Just out of curiosity: Black Kite aegyptius is sometimes thought to be a separate species. Is it possible to say from a photo like this if we are looking at one of those or a migrant from the north?

thanks
Niels

An adult aegyptius ('Yellow-billed Kite') would have an all yellow bill, so I'd presume that the subject bird (which is not a juvenile based on the lack of pale tips to the greater upperwing coverts) is probably of the nominate ssp. However, I'm not completely certain whether young adult Yellow-billed Kites may still show a dark bill tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back