• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID A Bird Song from Southern California (San Diego Area) (1 Viewer)

I'm to the forum, so glad I found it! I have a question I'm hoping someone can assist me with. I was working upstairs in my office today, and down in my front yard, I heard an unusual bird call. I was able to record it on my iPhone, and I've attached the .mp3 file to see if anyone might be able to recognize the song, and ID the bird. I live in N. San Diego county near the coast. I have a lot of different birds that visit or live in my 1 acre yard, as I have many California natives growing, as well as other plants and nesting materials/sites for birds (Certified Wildlife Habitat). You'll have to listen with ear buds or a headset as it is rather faint being a fair distance away, but I'm hoping someone might be able to hear and recognize the song and let me know what bird I've got in my yard. Thanks! ;)

Attachments

• UnknownBirdSong.mp3
    465.1 KB · Views: 67
Mystery Solved

o:) Okay, I have solved the mystery myelf. When I pulled into the garage today, after going to the gym, as I got out of the car, I could hear this "mystery" bird singing his 2-3 note song, again. I stepped back and saw one of our many lovely male Hooded Orioles perched up at the very top of one of my Italian Cypresses that are just around the corner from my 2nd story office window. So, it's a Hooded Oriole! We have many nesting in our yard, and in our neighbor's yard due to the large number of Queen palms and fan palms we have. They love to weave their nests in the fronds.

Patty S.

Thanks, Mike. Now, a very sad ID request. I hope someone will see this photo in this message thread, if not, I'll repost to a separate message thread. Yesterday, again, while working in my upstairs office, I heard a terrible bang on my upstairs laundry room window. Even the cat jumped up and ran into the laundry room. I couldn't see if the bird was alright, but based on how hard the bird hit the window, I feared he met his demise. Indeed, this afternoon, when I went to re-fill my feeders, I found the poor fellow. Again, this is not a regular visitor to my feeders. I've attached a photo of the poor little guy. |:(|

Attachments

• IMG_2546.JPG
    IMG_2546.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 34
Oh brother. Again, I think I answered my own question. I believe this is a juvenile Black Headed Grossbeak. I get them occasionally at my feeder if I put out dried mealworms or fruits & suet. I had an adult male at my feeder this morning. So, that means I had a nest in my yard most likely and I've lost one of the babies. Gosh darn my stupid tinted windows.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back