• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (10 Viewers)

Has anyone any idea what this is exactly ?(think fungus or something like that).....It was in my daughters garden in England.

Attachments

• query.jpg
    query.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 57
First of all - Dolce thanks for your kind sentiments .

Was out at Gyles Quay around 5pm and saw a Stork standing/fishing at lowish tide on the front beach.Also saw 2 ringed plover and plenty of (I think they are Great Black Backed Gulls) on the back beach down by the rocks.

Algarve 2010

Hi all. Just back from 2 weeks in the Algarve and got quite a bit of birding in. Unlike previous years when I only brought the camera, I decided to get some digiscoping in this time so I brought the Swarovski. Unfortunately however my bag was checked in Dublin Airport security on the way out and when they give me my bag back they failed to say they left it open!! My Canon A590is duly fell out onto the floor and the LCD shattered! :-C
So before I left the country my digiscoping setup was in bits. As it happened my wife had a new Fuji A245 with her and it saved the day, although I had to hand hold it to the scope and it wasn't anything like as digiscoping friendly (or image clear) as the canon. Anyway I went out with a list of 7 birds I dipped on previous visits and got this down to 2. Posting up a few photos here and hope to do up a report later.

Attachments

• AlgarveBirds2010 013.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 013.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 57
  • AlgarveBirds2010 036.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 036.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 44
  • AlgarveBirds2010 006.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 006.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 64
  • AlgarveBirds2010 004.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 004.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 53
  • AlgarveBirds2010 025.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 025.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 48
A few more:
Cattle Egret, Crested Lark, Avocet, Red Rumped Swallow and a Barn Swallow which had just fledged and was awaiting it's parents food deliveries in a large reed bed.

By the way, the birds in the previous post were:
Eurasian BeeEater (with bee!), Black Winged Stilt, Purple Heron (amazing how well they can blend into a reed bed), Greater Flamingos and White Stork.

Attachments

• AlgarveBirds2010 022.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 022.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 63
  • AlgarveBirds2010 014.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 014.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 49
  • AlgarveBirds2010 003.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 003.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 46
  • AlgarveBirds2010 028.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 028.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 52
  • AlgarveBirds2010 008.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 008.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Finally for the moment a few flight shots - Cattle Egret, Common Kestrel, Purple Heron, Avocet and finally a second shot of the same Kestrel at it's cliff ledge nest site (if you look carefully you should see a lizard in it's claws!)

Attachments

• AlgarveBirds2010 020.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 020.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 50
  • AlgarveBirds2010 034.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 034.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 60
  • AlgarveBirds2010 007.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 007.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 56
  • AlgarveBirds2010 016.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 016.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 40
  • AlgarveBirds2010 035.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 035.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 67
Was out at Gyles Quay around 5pm and saw a Stork standing/fishing at lowish tide on the front beach.
Hi Mr Hornblower. If you don't mind me asking, how sure are you that it was a stork, as in the first photos I posted above? If so it would be a very important county record.
Having seen your posting above, I spent the last hour covering the general coastal area eitherr side of Gyles Quay but no joy. Alot of shooting going on in the fields behind the car park at Gyles Quay so nothing at all around that area.
As a matter of interest is there anything stopping people shooting at this time of year? I am not saying the individuals tonight were shooting anything (perhaps clays?) but their actions were causing alot of disturbance to pipits etc which had all fled the area.

Last edited:
Its likely they were shooting Pigions or Corvids this time of year
Any pigeon or crow that hung about for the duration I was there deserved to be shot! I actually moved off the beach!! It sounded like rifle shots, nearly all were in 2's about a second apart and they were an average of 3 mins apart (but not consistent).

Hi Derek
Nice pics from Portugal, reminds me of my visit a few years ago. Where did you have the flamingoes?

Sean

Any pigeon or crow that hung about for the duration I was there deserved to be shot! I actually moved off the beach!! It sounded like rifle shots, nearly all were in 2's about a second apart and they were an average of 3 mins apart (but not consistent).

Pera Marsh - Lagoa dos Salgados

Hi Derek
Nice pics from Portugal, reminds me of my visit a few years ago. Where did you have the flamingoes?

Sean

Thanks Sean

Flamingos were at Lagoa dos Salgados or Pera Marsh as it's widely known. I visited this site each morning and the numbers of Greater Flamingos ranged between 40 - 100. While there, it was reported in the local media that there were reports of one of the flamingo breeding at the site - the first ever in Portugal!! I did get a few record shots.
Despite the importance of this site, it lies beside a golf course and lets just say environmental concerns do not appear to be high on anyones agenda over there! It really is a disgrace and would land people in jail if it were to happen here. There is a beach of sand which holds the water in the lagoon but bulldozers are occasionally used to completely drain the site (some say to balance water levels on the golf course), leaving 1000's of birds stranded. While I was there water levels were not bad (maybe another foot of water would be spot on) and I seen recently hatched coots, little grebes, moorhens, purple swam-hens, avocets and BW Stilts.
Few photos attached:
1. Looking North West from the new board walk that was installed in 2009 on the southern end of the lagoon
2. New signs have been placed on the western end of the lagoon and part of the foreshore ploughed up to prevent access to 4WD's etc
3. Distant shot showing roosting grey herons, flamingos, spoonbill and assorted ducks (pochard, gadwall and mallard).
4. Distant shot of purple swamp-hen and chick to the left
5. Flamingos arriving in, with boardwalk and 2 storey bird hide (top left) in backround.

Attachments

• AlgarveBirds2010 037.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 037.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 59
  • AlgarveBirds2010 038.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 038.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 68
  • AlgarveBirds2010 039.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 039.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 66
  • AlgarveBirds2010 041.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 041.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 65
  • AlgarveBirds2010 042.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 042.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 52
Forgot the nesting flamingo shot, so here it is, plus a few more:

1. An example of how the bright sunshine can make for beautiful shots especially of birds on the water - Little Grebe
2. In wooded areas the bright sunshine can make things very difficult! Here 2 reasonably sized birds with bright colouring (Jay and Azure Winged Magpie) are very difficult to spot and/or photograph. Indeed, although I was able to get within feet of crested tits they proved almost impossible to photograph.
3. Red legged partridge
4. Hoopoe
5. The forgotten Greater flamingo nest shot (a Portugal first)

Attachments

• AlgarveBirds2010 044.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 044.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 57
  • AlgarveBirds2010 047.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 047.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 60
  • AlgarveBirds2010 046.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 046.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 59
  • AlgarveBirds2010 045.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 045.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 66
  • AlgarveBirds2010 043.JPG
    AlgarveBirds2010 043.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 62
Derek - I'm not 100% per cent about the Stork,I had actually seen a Large grey heron on the back beach and when driving away saw this Tall slim bird that in comparison to the Grey heron looked fairly different (I had stopped at the slipway half way up the hill to observe) I also noticed its neck was very long and slim as it stood motionless in the water and although not completely white (White and Pale grey) it still didn't have the same contrasting colours of the Grey heron (which I had only just seen on the back beech,and seen on the previous friday whilst fishing the Newry canal,two Grey's that were very large) But looking at Photo's of Storks I've cancelled out the black stork and the white one seems to short (I always thought they had longer necks - Sorry) On conclusion I'm not sure what it was - and had cancelled out a Grey Heron because of its Slender frame !

Sorry for the alert ! and will take my Minolta 404 SLR with its 300mm lens next time and if I'm lucky enough get a shot of it.

Nice pictures above Derek - especially the Bee eater & Avocet in Flight

Hi Mr Hornblower. May have been a little egret. I suspected that it was not a stork but always worth checking any reports out just in case.
BTW - There is a very interesting website concentrating on the birds 'up north' at http://nibirds.blogspot.com/. Below is the answer to their recent quiz that may be of interest locally and one that I was not aware off.

Answer to Wednesday's trivia question:

"Ivory Gull is one of the most sought after rarities in Ireland (there are only 3 Northern
Ireland records). Apart from these what is the connection between Ivory Gull
and the Emerald Isle?"

Captain Leopold McClintock was from Dundalk (Louth) and was involved in the search for the Franklin expedition to find the North West Passage (they were all lost when the ships Erebus and Terror were crushed in the ice).
He was one of the pioneers of Arctic travel and in 1853 covered 1,408 miles by sledge in 105 days. On 21st June 1853 an Ivory Gull was found on the nest with an egg - the first ever find of a nest of this species. Then he sighted an island to the north of Melville Island to which he crossed and charted.
He named it Emerald Isle.

I know photos are distant and battery needed charging but wonder has anyone any idea what birds might have been ?

Attachments

• Shelling Hill 008.jpg
    Shelling Hill 008.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Shelling Hill 007.jpg
    Shelling Hill 007.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 80
  • Shelling Hill 015.jpg
    Shelling Hill 015.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 72
I can see some red on head of this bird so thinking Linnet not sure? All photos taken at Shelling Hill.

Attachments

• Shelling Hill 012.jpg
    Shelling Hill 012.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 92
I could hear that reeling sound of what I think might have been Grasshopper Warblers over in the long grass at the further or second Shelling Hill beach ie if you keep walking on to the right (where jellyfish always were). I have heard them here too a good few times plus opposite the hospital regularly but not sure if another sort of bird makes that reeling sound too. I will have to listen to the all the bird sounds again and again ...... but I am very curious about the bird that makes this sound as heard them in Son Ferrer Mallorca too but couldnt see the bird.

In the small field behind the smarthomes unit there is a song thrush at the top of a tree(on the far RH side) that has been constantly singing in superb voice (I know how it got its name now)

There are song thrushes on about five different roofs between Daisyhill and my house every evening and I can hear one every night at back door almost latish too (I know their song off now as so many singing their hearts out around here) but I was surprised to read that they stop singing in July I think and so does the Blackbird .........I notice too that the little Redpolls are very fond of Hawthorn trees.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back