• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mastermind 13 (1 Viewer)

Oh lordy another one.

1) Hume's Warbler
2) Pallas's Warbler
3) Blackcap
4) Redstart, possibly of a funny race, possibly taken at the same time as the Whitethroat and Garden Warbler in the last round, judging by the wierd light.

OK, again in english

1. yellow browed warbler
2. Pallas´s warbler
are the english names

and my las two guesses I change to

3.barred warbler
4. commomn redstart (Probably its not only the light, that makes it look so red)

here is all of bird 3... yes it a Barred warber. I could barley get my hands round it to hold it!

Attachments

• 3.1.JPG
    3.1.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 116
Bluetail said:
Actually, the second isn't the same bird, is it? I'll go with Arctic Warbler for that.
Cancel that - I mean Greenish! Actually, I've got more than a sneaking suspicion that those who have gone for Pallas's are right.

Do you get the impression I haven't the foggiest what I'm talking about?

<Answer: No, it's bl**ding obvious you don't!>

Jason

Those birds in full.

Should be simple now

Attachments

• 4.1.JPG
    4.1.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,124
  • warbler 1.JPG
    warbler 1.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 129
  • warbler 2.JPG
    warbler 2.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 103
HOUSE
1. 1st year Yellow-browed Warbler, probably female on biometrics, at least at the small end of the range. This birds had clearly been in the country for a good time and had been feeding fweel, it had a fat score of 5/5

2. 1st year Pallas Warbler. Again I'm assuming female on biometrics. It was truly tiny! There is a funny story to this bird. Caught at Filey, in the top scrub while everyone else...and I mean everyone else was out looking for a reported Gyr Falcon. I was doing a net round and came back to find that everyone had scarpered. This was a nice consolation., and the falcon turned out to be a Buzzard-sized Saker! The photo is a little dark, but it is quite the darkest of these little gems I've ever seen

4. Northern Wheatear, Greenland Race, it is indeed male, though probably 1st summer male, leucohoa. It was a monster bird, with a wing length longer than many Song Thrushes and a tarsus wider than than the ring-size it was supposed to take! A strange thing about Greenland Wheatears, they seem to be a great deal easier to catch than the European Birds. I don't know if they get excited by trees or something, but of the 15 or so Wheatears I've caught locally all have been definite or probable leucohoa. I find the first Wheatears that come in a barely larger than Redstarts...by early May some are starting to lookk bigger and browner mantled, and by late May all the birds going through are hulking great things like this one.

feeding fweel
A local Merseycide term?

I find the first Wheatears that come in a barely larger than Redstarts...by early May some are starting to lookk bigger and browner mantled, and by late May all the birds going through are hulking great things like this one
Presumably Scots, Icelandic and Greenland birds in turn? Get much the same here, any wheatear on the coast after the end of April is usually Greenland-type, and strikingly different to the silvery-grey ones breeding in the Cheviots

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back