• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia Feb. 2014 (1 Viewer)

Never understood this myth about being confined to an AI and not experiencing the country you are visiting.
You aren't held prisoners in an AI!
You are actually allowed to leave the hotel.
We saw as much of Gambia as most on our visit there.We were out and about every day birdwatching and visiting local sights.
Just come back from a Cuba AI.
Waiting for our trip organisor in the hotel lobby we noticed how many people were coming and going on trips out of the hotel.
Ditto the Sheraton in Gambia when there were people coming and going all day long.
It may be a poor country but the locals were benefitting from the Sheraton.
Witness the huge staff all gaining steady employment- Cleaners, chefs,cooks,waiters,maintance staff,receptionists,gardeners,bar staff,entertainment staff,security guards,,management,local taxi drivers,coach drivers etc
.A veritable army all earning a living from hotel visitors.

Last edited:
Pratincol, the hotel owners ( usually a foreign company ) will take the lions share of any profit. Yes ,they employ locals , but so do all the other hotels. Well done for getting out and about - I note you didn't employ guides . Approx what % of your holiday cost do you reckon any locals saw?

Pratincol, the hotel owners ( usually a foreign company ) will take the lions share of any profit. Yes ,they employ locals , but so do all the other hotels. Well done for getting out and about - I note you didn't employ guides . Approx what % of your holiday cost do you reckon any locals saw?
Of course I got out and about you daft egg!I was on a birdwatching holiday
The whole point of the discussion is where to stay,using guides and going out birdwatching.
Why then raise the myth about being prisoners in the All inclusive hotel?
Not sure why a potential birdwatcher visitor would want to sit around the pool bar getting p****ed all day and not leave the hotel!
I've no idea what percentage went to the locals.
I'll take a calculator next time and ask to to see all the hotel accounts including staff wages.

Last edited:
We stayed at the Sheraton a few years ago and ended up at the village of one of the reps who worked from there, certainly contributed to the locals and kept in touch, visiting again when we went back next year, even though we stayed at another resort.

Some people use AI as a convenience, like myself and Pratincol, for others the whole place is just sun and beer, the country/location isn't important to them.

If anyone's interested, there's trip reports for both visits, just search for threads under my name.

I think my original point was challenging if all inclusive and half board are actually good value, not just at the Sheraton but anywhere. I know that at the Sunset Beach it costs more to add half board on to your package holiday than it does to sign up when you get there for the same deal.
For those who are out of their hotel all day they are not getting the full value that those who stay on the premises do but the hotel works prices on average consumption then adds some.For a resident in a hotel who charges top whack for their drinks, all inclusive might seem like a good deal but if you can walk out of the gate and straight in to a bar that charges local prices you probably might find that your AI deal isn't a money saver and just encourages over indulgence in food and drink.
I stayed in a 4* hotel in Sri Lanka last year on an half board package purely because I didn't know what local alternatives were available, in fact I don't think they operate a B&B regime. They are trying to persuade every travel agency to book everyone on all inclusive. On a Virgin upgrade the cost was £38 per person per day. A beer in the hotel was £3 a pint, so you would have to drink a few cocktails and shorts to get through that, across the road the beer was a £1 a pint.
You can see that if you are happy to have a few beers in the evening mixing with both locals and tourists rather than the sterile environment so many big modern hotels have, then the saving to be made can be quite incredible.

I have already said that staying at the Sheraton AI isn't a money saving exercise.
It cost a lot more but worth every penny because of the luxury room,great service,excellent food,wonderful beach(have you seen the 'beach' badly eroded at the Senegambia?) ,and best of all the convenience of being able to walk to Tanjii reserve and Brufut Woods.
If you don't think these are worthwhile paying extra for,don't stay there.
If the staff don't want to work at the Sheraton they can try their luck on the tourist strip.
I haven't got a clue how wages compare but I wonder why the Sheraton have staff who have worked there for years?
I spoke to many who were long term employees and judging by their positive attitude they were happy with their lot.
So the Sheraton like all the tourist strip establishments is simply adding jobs to the economy and sourcing local food,drinks and services all again going back into the local economy.
Mark: I will look up your report to compare with what I found.

A quick check on Thomas Cook for next winter is showing the Sheraton at about £800 dearer than the next dearest hotel , the Karaiba, which is b&b but a very good quality hotel. A typical mid-range b&b hotel is £1300 cheaper. That's for 2 people. From our visits to the Gambia, I know we couldn't spend anywhere near that amount on food and drink in 2 weeks, which is the only extra in booking AI.
If you really like the Sheraton and it's position ,that's great, but if we are recommending a place for people who haven't visited before, I'd say it's darned expensive.Incidently, we stay just up the beach in Bijillo.

The one word of warning I would give is to check out your hotel before you book. Places like the Badala Park and Palm Beach in Kotu are just a couple of many that are to be avoided and they are not alone in offering poorly maintained, ill equipped accommodation.
!

I've stayed at Badala Park twice,and have no complaints.
Remember it's a 2 star hotel in a third world country.
I've just had 11 nights B&B for £450 with flights.
It's fairly clean,fresh towels every day,hot water always available, what more do you want?
And good birding literally on the doorstep.

Pete.

That sounds a real bargain, Pete. Don't think I could persuade my wife to stay there ( she isn't a birder !) but if was with birding mates it would be fine.

A quick check on Thomas Cook for next winter is showing the Sheraton at about £800 dearer than the next dearest hotel , the Karaiba, which is b&b but a very good quality hotel. A typical mid-range b&b hotel is £1300 cheaper. That's for 2 people. From our visits to the Gambia, I know we couldn't spend anywhere near that amount on food and drink in 2 weeks, which is the only extra in booking AI.
If you really like the Sheraton and it's position ,that's great, but if we are recommending a place for people who haven't visited before, I'd say it's darned expensive.Incidently, we stay just up the beach in Bijillo.

If that's the current price differential then yes it's enough to put most off! We paid £750 (maybe a little less) each for AI inc flight - was a while ago, 2008 - but exchange rate has got better from a UK perspective, I believe, so prices should still be low in theory!

I've read all your interesting comments, I'm thinking of going to the Gambia, but can any of you tell me the best time to go ?? November or February ?? When is it less mosquitoey ??? I am thinking of the Senegambia

It's a matter of birding preferences rather than mosquitos which don't really tend to be a problem especially on the coast, although I wouldn't recommend not taking anti malarials. In the past we have always used Malarone which is very expensive but on a recent trip elsewhere we took Doxycycline and suffered no side effect whatsoever, although some suffer from a combination with the sun apparently.
As for birding, if you are after some of the sought after species like Egyptian Plover, you need to book before Christmas and travel away from the coast, you also have the benefit of birds in breeding plumage, however, if your main priority is photography, as mine is, I prefer after Christmas as the supply of drinking water and pools start to dry up as the season progresses. This means that finding some species becomes a lot easier.
As for the Senegambia.. your choice ! Kololi is a bit of an eye opener but livelier than anywhere else. If you want quieter with some bars and restaurants, try Kotu. Elsewhere you are likely to be some distance from those kind of facilities and more than likely confined to your accommodation.
In my opinion the hassle you get from locals isn't too bad. The days of the "bumster"( con artist) is numbered. They realise it's not good for tourism and they are discouraged by the police. The bird guides are more persistent but as with all of them , a firm but polite "no thanks" will see you all right. No need to respond with aggression, just raises the blood pressure !
It's a fabulous birding and holiday destination IMO.
cheers Dave

thanks Dave, I'll be with my non-birding wife !! So I was wondering if somewhere like the Senegambia or the Kairaba would be suited to her lazing by the pool/sightseeng, as well allowing me some birding opportunities close to the hotels. She's very 'aware' of mosquitoes !!!! so I wondered if it might be a bit drier, less humid, in February.

thanks Dave, I'll be with my non-birding wife !! So I was wondering if somewhere like the Senegambia or the Kairaba would be suited to her lazing by the pool/sightseeng, as well allowing me some birding opportunities close to the hotels. She's very 'aware' of mosquitoes !!!! so I wondered if it might be a bit drier, less humid, in February.

My other half is a non birder too so I know exactly what you mean. To be honest there isn't a lot of sight seeing as such, although you are likely to be taken to a village or home. We are all very rich in comparison to the locals and so they see the possibility of sponsorship, educational support and better still, marriage and a passport out as being highly sought after objectives. a walk along the beach between Kololi and Kotu is lovely though as an escape. Shopping opportunities are virtually zero.
I have a couple of reports posted that might help you decide
November 2012
http://www.northwalesbirding.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7039
or January 2011
http://www.northwalesbirding.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4922

There are some pictures taken around Kotu as well. One of the advantages of this area is not only is it quieter but the birding is more varied too as you have wetland birds which you won't get at the Senegambia and area.
The Sunset Beach is right on the beach and eating breakfast overlooking the beach and creek is magical. A better breakfast than Senegambia too. If you go though you need to ask for a Bungalow Room , they are much nicer than the standard ones.If you have to, don't unpack until one becomes available.

One other tip that comes to mind too is to take cash. The ATM's of which there are 3 in Kololi but none in Kotu ( or at least wasn't 18 months ago) will only dispense £60 at a time so it costs a lot in bank fees. You will get a better rate with cash locally.

Without a doubt, if you have a non birding partner you are better sticking to the more touristy areas, she'll go stir crazy if she is confined to the hotel for the duration. For my next visit booked for next January I am staying away from the normal haunts just for a change of local scene but I'm going with a birding friend , not my wife !
I shall miss the Sunset Beach though.

My wife's a non-birder too though enjoys anything on the colourful/spectacular side. We stayed at the Kairaba on a good deal and she loved it. There's plenty of birding nearby, bird guides are based outside (we hired a lovely chap called Hassan, knowledgeable, easy going and well known where ever we went. He also helped me plan mixed trips of birding and sight seeing).

We both enjoyed eating and drinking on the strip as well as getting cabs further afield. Its well worth finding a place with live local music or dancing. We also spent a few days on Jinack island (very cheap) which has loads of birds and friendly locals. We had a great tour of the area by canoe through the mangroves and also into Senegal briefly.

In the end I had up near 240 birds in 2 weeks, tons of good photos and my wife had had a cracking time too.

Can I ask which hi powered LED tourch you used as I have a 1million candle powered spotlight that is both heavy, doesn't last more than half hours use and takes hours to charge. I'm considering a possible trip next year and probably need an alternative light source.

many thanks

gambia

me and the mrs went for two weeks in april/may stopped at the kololi beach club the rooms were very basic but we only slept there, breakfast was very basic hot food you had to pay extra for so we ate out for dinner and tea. we had a guide called massa who is based by the monkey park entrance great chap took us out quite a few times including two nights up to tendaba and georgetown. what i found was that it was very limited birding within walking distance, so in a taxi up to kotu when out on our own. our guide had a twenty od year old golf that needed a push start on occasion but he got us 30 raptors including 5 owls, we had between 170/180 birds but we only count them if we get a picture. all in all great holiday lots of birds would recommend it to anyone. oh and funny at breakfast with a cattle egret sat on the chair opposite and eating out my hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back